Feb 22, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
It was easy to see Papelbon’s comments as a potential criticism of a veteran like Jimmy Rollins, since he’s the longest-tenured member of the team. However, Rollins told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com today that he wasn’t offended by Papelbon’s comments and felt the club suffered from a lack of identity last year.
“Identity might be the word,” Rollins said. “We had a lot of moving parts last year. Parts coming in, a lot of new parts coming in. Regulars not being around, not being together, you know that bond that forms from being together.
“The bond was broken. We’re back together now. The glue is back together. You can have a lead singer, but without the man playing the guitar and drums it’s a different band.”
He’s presumably talking about fellow veterans Ryan Howard and Chase Utley, who were out of action for most of the first half last season. Anyway, I’m interested to hear who is the drummer and who is the guitarist in this analogy. This is just begging for a proper Photoshopping.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)