Feb 22, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
It was easy to see Papelbon’s comments as a potential criticism of a veteran like Jimmy Rollins, since he’s the longest-tenured member of the team. However, Rollins told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com today that he wasn’t offended by Papelbon’s comments and felt the club suffered from a lack of identity last year.
“Identity might be the word,” Rollins said. “We had a lot of moving parts last year. Parts coming in, a lot of new parts coming in. Regulars not being around, not being together, you know that bond that forms from being together.
“The bond was broken. We’re back together now. The glue is back together. You can have a lead singer, but without the man playing the guitar and drums it’s a different band.”
He’s presumably talking about fellow veterans Ryan Howard and Chase Utley, who were out of action for most of the first half last season. Anyway, I’m interested to hear who is the drummer and who is the guitarist in this analogy. This is just begging for a proper Photoshopping.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (77)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (71)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)