Feb 22, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
It was easy to see Papelbon’s comments as a potential criticism of a veteran like Jimmy Rollins, since he’s the longest-tenured member of the team. However, Rollins told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com today that he wasn’t offended by Papelbon’s comments and felt the club suffered from a lack of identity last year.
“Identity might be the word,” Rollins said. “We had a lot of moving parts last year. Parts coming in, a lot of new parts coming in. Regulars not being around, not being together, you know that bond that forms from being together.
“The bond was broken. We’re back together now. The glue is back together. You can have a lead singer, but without the man playing the guitar and drums it’s a different band.”
He’s presumably talking about fellow veterans Ryan Howard and Chase Utley, who were out of action for most of the first half last season. Anyway, I’m interested to hear who is the drummer and who is the guitarist in this analogy. This is just begging for a proper Photoshopping.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)