Jorge Posada: “I have no interest in playing ball”

Feb 22, 2013, 3:20 PM EST

posada wide getty Getty Images

I’m not sure anyone was actually thinking it was even a possibility, but Jorge Posada was asked today about potentially making a comeback and made it very clear he’s staying retired.

Posada, who’s at Yankees camp as a guest instructor, told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York:

I have no interest in playing ball. I don’t want to be gone for that long. You retire to be home and you don’t want to be gone for a month and a half. … I don’t think I could. Really, I don’t think I can. The grind of a long season, I don’t think I could do that anymore. I’m happy where I’m at. I’m not second-guessing myself. I know I can’t play the game now. In my mind, I think I made the right decision.

I still think Posada could have helped quite a few teams as a designated hitter last season–he remained plenty effective versus right-handed pitchers in 2011–but after a year off at age 41 it’s a moot point.

1. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Good for Jorge. There’s nothing sadder than watching the shell of a once fine ballplayer dragging itself back to the plate in the degrading motley of the designated hitter, the field itself now a personal no-man’s land, the ballplayer long past his time as a complete athlete. Posada seems to know that. Good for him.

• number42is1 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Can i give Brett Favre your number?

• pisano - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Gator, you summed it up with a lot of respect, well done.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM

My favorite Jorge moment is that game in Anaheim, when Joe asked him if he could catch.
      Jorge was a great Yankee, he did the talking for Jetes in the Locker room.
      He could probably coach.
      Jorge, your wife is hot, stay home.

2. pooinyourface - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

not too long till we see him among the name of cheaters. He’s a bum and a huge dickhead. Stop applauding this garbage.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

you don’t have any guns, right?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Poo:
      I have read two of your posts thus far…with both being incredibly positive contributions.
      Thanks for that glass is alwasy half-full outlook! It’s very refreshing!

• Old Gator - Feb 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Why are you getting into an argument with a twelve year old?

• pisano - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM

pooinyourface…. I’ve never said this before to another poster, but you are a total scumbag, and in your case, that’s a compliment.

3. cackalackyank - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I am glad to hear that he said this emphatically. When I heard that he was going to be in camp I was wondering if something else going on. One might have wondered if with the NYY needing a catcher and 2/3 of the the remaining “Core Four” heading for what promises to be their last roundup this year if Jorge might have been tempted. Good plan Jorge.

4. greymares - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM

and baseball has no interest in having you play it.

• bigharold - Feb 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Stay Classy Jackass.

5. stevequinn - Feb 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I was born and raised a Red Sox fan but I can honestly say, I have a ton of respect for the Yankee home grown guys….Jeter, Pettite, Posada, Mariano Rivera, and, before he retired, Bernie Williams. Sorry to see Posada retired but he’s smart, nothing does more harm to a ballplayer than hanging on when he no longer has major league ability. And Can Bernie Williams play that guitar or what????

6. theskinsman - Feb 23, 2013 at 5:08 AM

This Red Sox fan has great respect for Jorge. Having the honesty to say he couldn’t do it anymore is refreshing.

7. bigjimatch - Feb 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Posada probably could have stuck around last year, but he wasn’t going to play for anyone other than the Yankees, and Girardi goes out of his way to try and embarrass Posada, so he wasn’t going to go through that again.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester