Michael Phelps joined the Orioles for BP

Feb 22, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps joined the Baltimore Orioles for batting practice yesterday. I love that Buck Showalter gave him crap:

“It’s been a long time since I swung a bat,” Phelps said before walking into the cage.

A few minutes before he starting swinging, manager Buck Showalter came over to greet him and clearly had no sympathy for Phelps.

“I haven’t been in a pool for 30 years, but I’m not drowning,” Showalter joked.

Video below. Gonna go out on a limb and say that his swing is too long for him to be successful.

1. tfbuckfutter - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Too bad it was the Orioles and not the Yankees. They’d have made him shave those monkey pubes off his face.

2. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

That’s not his swing. That’s his stroke.

3. psuravens19 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Those hats are pretty bad*** if you ask me, I’ll be on the hunt for one of them this weekend.

• southpaw2k - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Completely agree. Love the color scheme. I’m gonna see about finding one soon too, since I don’t have any Orioles hats yet.

4. thepittsburghkid - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Many, many years ago Bruce Yard a AA catching prospect in the Dodgers system yelled at me in front of the entire team for showing up at a American Legion All Star practice with my hat backwards. So, let me pay this forward with what I was told in that “WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? KEN GRIFFEY JR.? In summation, Bruce Yard is a Jag.

5. alexo0 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

BP stands for Bowl of Pot, right?

6. anthonykornheiser - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If anything his swing is too short, not long. He isnt moving/using his front foot when he swings, it wouldnt be that bad if he did that.
    You can tell he plays a lot of golf.

7. thebadguyswon - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I thought this clown was going to disappear once his Olympic career was over. He’s almost as bad as Kate Gosselin.

• psuravens19 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

You must not follow the NFL… he was all over the place during the Ravens SB run.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Lotta Kate Gosselin fans in the house huh?

8. rockthered1286 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Phelps is the opposite of a Baltimore icon- most Baltimore icons are beloved in town and hated by the rest of the country (see Lewis, Ray). Phelps on the other hand is loved by the country and hated by Baltimoreans…Baltimorans….Baltimorites… locals.

• psuravens19 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I get what you are saying, but Ray Lewis is probably the only Baltimore Sports Icon that is hated outside the city. Ripken, Robinson, Unitas, Mackey are all well respected all over the country.

• Reflex - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Phelps is hated by a lot of people in Michigan for his behavior. My gf was a resident mentor at MSU and they had to give the girls a “Phelps warning” each year unofficially because he would show up at all the parties and could get quite abusive with girls. It is not a good situation.

I respect his accomplishments, but the guy is a monster in his personal life.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win