Feb 22, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
David Murphy reports Ruben Amaro’s reaction to the ESPN/MLB/Baseball America et al. prospect rankings, all of which have the Phillies ranked pretty low:
“It’s all a bunch of crap,” he said earlier this week.
If Amaro’s dismissal is a case of sour grapes, he is certainly going to great lengths to disguise it … Whatever happens, the Phillies seem likely to enter the season with a total of first- and second-year players on their roster that is unprecedented in the post-World Series era. That would seem to indicate one of two things: Either the talent in the minor league system is better than the national pundits think or the Phillies are going to be in for a long season.
I am not a prospects guy so I can’t say much beyond what I read in Law and Mayo’s rankings. And to be fair: the measure of Ruben Amaro’s success has been and still is, at least for now, how well his veteran-laden club does in the short term, not how things play out in the long term.
That said: in an ideal world you build for both the preset and the future. And even if your immediate concern is not how well those prospects look, being concerned about their quality is not “crap.”
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)