Feb 22, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
David Murphy reports Ruben Amaro’s reaction to the ESPN/MLB/Baseball America et al. prospect rankings, all of which have the Phillies ranked pretty low:
“It’s all a bunch of crap,” he said earlier this week.
If Amaro’s dismissal is a case of sour grapes, he is certainly going to great lengths to disguise it … Whatever happens, the Phillies seem likely to enter the season with a total of first- and second-year players on their roster that is unprecedented in the post-World Series era. That would seem to indicate one of two things: Either the talent in the minor league system is better than the national pundits think or the Phillies are going to be in for a long season.
I am not a prospects guy so I can’t say much beyond what I read in Law and Mayo’s rankings. And to be fair: the measure of Ruben Amaro’s success has been and still is, at least for now, how well his veteran-laden club does in the short term, not how things play out in the long term.
That said: in an ideal world you build for both the preset and the future. And even if your immediate concern is not how well those prospects look, being concerned about their quality is not “crap.”
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte