Steve Garvey has prostate cancer

Feb 22, 2013, 4:50 PM EST

Steve Garvey

Some bad news for a former Dodger and Padres great:

Former Dodgers first base great Steve Garvey, a 10-time All-Star and 1974 National League MVP, is battling prostate cancer.

Garvey said that his prostate was removed at UCLA Medical Center in October after his cancer was diagnosed the previous month and that he now hopes to devote a considerable amount of his time to prostate cancer awareness.

The upside: his father was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the same age Garvey is now and lived into his 80s. Also: Garvey is using his diagnosis as the jumping off for some anti-cancer advocacy, including the donation of 75% of the proceeds from the auction of his memorabilia we highlighted a couple of weeks ago to cancer research.

Good luck to Garvey. May his fight be powered by his perpetually optimistic disposition and his really friggin’ amazing forearms.

1. fanofevilempire - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Good Luck.

2. missingdiz - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I lived in the SF Bay area for many years and, like most folks there, came to hate everything remotely associated with LA, especially the Dodgers. For me, it was especially Steve Garvey and all the p.r. that went along with him.
    How silly and stupid. Selling his trophies to support cancer research redefines the word “class.” Now I can only admire the man and wish him all the best.

3. pisano - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Good luck to him, I don’t care what people said about his personal life, the guy was all class on the field and was a credit to MLB. God Bless him.

4. cosanostra71 - Feb 23, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Thankfully, there have been some great advances in prostate cancer treatment. Good luck to him and beat the cancer!

5. lostsok - Feb 23, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Steve Garvey is the reason I am a Dodger fan. My father, who had divorced my mother, came over on Saturdays, and watched baseball. Being on the West Coast, the Dodgers were often on. I became infatuated with watching him hit. No one else was that interesting, but I’d wait patiently until Garvey would come up. Eventually, I learned the other names: Baker, Cey, Lopes. But it was Garvey that pulled me in.

Lasorda, Valenzuela, Hershiser…all the greats that came next…all because of Garvey.

This is a childhood hero whose tarnished halo has never mattered to me. He was bigger than life, and I hope he recovers and lives for a long time to come….

6. ramitbaby - Feb 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Where are the Aholes who were talking crud here last week about him selling his memorabilia for reasons they could only WRONGLY speculate. The Garv will always be Mr. Dodger AND Mr. Padre.

7. jiminthebay - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

well I’M IN THE BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE.

8. badintent - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM

The Garv fathered 10 kids with 3 women he was not married too but always preached his superior Christan upbring for his outstanding morals. Pathetic hypocrite. Now he won’t be putting no more In children into the world.Karma

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5071)