Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
It begins with the amusing story of how Worley learned about the trade from Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. while waiting to pick up an engagement ring and then tells the even more interesting story about how he met his fiancee in the first place:
In September 2011, Worley was scheduled for an autograph signing in Aston, Pa. Vivas’ brother knew she was a big fan of Worley’s, so he joked that she should travel from Roxborough “to see her boyfriend.” She did, getting Worley’s autograph and snapping a picture with him.
Later, via Twitter, she sent the pitcher a link to the picture. Around that same time, Hunter Pence went on Twitter asking if any of his followers wanted a date with fellow Phillies outfielder John Mayberry Jr., who had recently been featured in a New York Post gossip item that said Mayberry was trying to get a date with a model/actress who appeared in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies.
Vivas responded to Pence. “She said, ‘I want a date with Vance Worley,’ ” the righthander said with a rueful smile.
They went on a date and hit it off, Worley met her family, and the rest is history.
I’ve been on Twitter for like three years now and not a single woman has contacted Calcaterra in an effort to ask me out. Also, we actually covered the above story about John Mayberry Jr. trying to get a date back in September of 2011. Because of course we did.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)