Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
It begins with the amusing story of how Worley learned about the trade from Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. while waiting to pick up an engagement ring and then tells the even more interesting story about how he met his fiancee in the first place:
In September 2011, Worley was scheduled for an autograph signing in Aston, Pa. Vivas’ brother knew she was a big fan of Worley’s, so he joked that she should travel from Roxborough “to see her boyfriend.” She did, getting Worley’s autograph and snapping a picture with him.
Later, via Twitter, she sent the pitcher a link to the picture. Around that same time, Hunter Pence went on Twitter asking if any of his followers wanted a date with fellow Phillies outfielder John Mayberry Jr., who had recently been featured in a New York Post gossip item that said Mayberry was trying to get a date with a model/actress who appeared in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies.
Vivas responded to Pence. “She said, ‘I want a date with Vance Worley,’ ” the righthander said with a rueful smile.
They went on a date and hit it off, Worley met her family, and the rest is history.
I’ve been on Twitter for like three years now and not a single woman has contacted Calcaterra in an effort to ask me out. Also, we actually covered the above story about John Mayberry Jr. trying to get a date back in September of 2011. Because of course we did.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)