Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
It begins with the amusing story of how Worley learned about the trade from Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. while waiting to pick up an engagement ring and then tells the even more interesting story about how he met his fiancee in the first place:
In September 2011, Worley was scheduled for an autograph signing in Aston, Pa. Vivas’ brother knew she was a big fan of Worley’s, so he joked that she should travel from Roxborough “to see her boyfriend.” She did, getting Worley’s autograph and snapping a picture with him.
Later, via Twitter, she sent the pitcher a link to the picture. Around that same time, Hunter Pence went on Twitter asking if any of his followers wanted a date with fellow Phillies outfielder John Mayberry Jr., who had recently been featured in a New York Post gossip item that said Mayberry was trying to get a date with a model/actress who appeared in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies.
Vivas responded to Pence. “She said, ‘I want a date with Vance Worley,’ ” the righthander said with a rueful smile.
They went on a date and hit it off, Worley met her family, and the rest is history.
I’ve been on Twitter for like three years now and not a single woman has contacted Calcaterra in an effort to ask me out. Also, we actually covered the above story about John Mayberry Jr. trying to get a date back in September of 2011. Because of course we did.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)