Feb 22, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Though long rumored, it was three years ago that it was confirmed that Pete Rose used a corked bat during his pursuit of Ty Cobb’s hit record in 1985. That bat is going up for auction if you’re interested. From the description:
This bat comes with the letter of authenticity from PSA/DNA, the actual X-ray showing the hole and foreign matter and a copy of the September 1985 Beckett Baseball Card Monthly clearly showing Pete holding this same bat. Pete has signed the cover in silver ink: “Pete Rose Veterans Stadium 7/4/85 – 7/7/85”.
Bidding starts on Monday. There’s a $2,500 minimum. I’m sure it will go for far more.
I touched on all of this three years ago when the bat’s existence came to light, but I still wonder why so many people who excoriate HGH users as cheaters don’t do the same for Rose and other bat corkers. I am aware of the studies which show that corking a bat likely doesn’t help a hitter and may actually be detrimental, but the same goes for taking HGH, which has been shown in multiple studies to confer no physical or athletic benefit to otherwise healthy athletes.
But HGH is against the rules and is therefore cheating, and this is why people care. So too is corking a bat, however. And we rarely treat these transgressions the same. Obviously Rose has other issues, but if those were gone, I’m sure the bat corking would not have impeded his path to the Hall of Fame.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)