Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Gillaspie has had a few brief stints with the Giants, including six games last season, but at age 25 the third baseman projects as a potential bench player after hitting .289 with an .815 OPS in 232 games at Triple-A. He’s out of minor-league options, so the White Sox have to keep him around or expose him to waivers again before Opening Day.
Soptic was the White Sox’s third-round pick in 2011 and spent last season at low Single-A, throwing 43 innings with a 5.40 ERA and 36/29 K/BB ratio as a 21-year-old.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)