Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Gillaspie has had a few brief stints with the Giants, including six games last season, but at age 25 the third baseman projects as a potential bench player after hitting .289 with an .815 OPS in 232 games at Triple-A. He’s out of minor-league options, so the White Sox have to keep him around or expose him to waivers again before Opening Day.
Soptic was the White Sox’s third-round pick in 2011 and spent last season at low Single-A, throwing 43 innings with a 5.40 ERA and 36/29 K/BB ratio as a 21-year-old.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 11
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 17
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)