Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM EST
Gillaspie has had a few brief stints with the Giants, including six games last season, but at age 25 the third baseman projects as a potential bench player after hitting .289 with an .815 OPS in 232 games at Triple-A. He’s out of minor-league options, so the White Sox have to keep him around or expose him to waivers again before Opening Day.
Soptic was the White Sox’s third-round pick in 2011 and spent last season at low Single-A, throwing 43 innings with a 5.40 ERA and 36/29 K/BB ratio as a 21-year-old.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 64
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 30
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)