Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Gillaspie has had a few brief stints with the Giants, including six games last season, but at age 25 the third baseman projects as a potential bench player after hitting .289 with an .815 OPS in 232 games at Triple-A. He’s out of minor-league options, so the White Sox have to keep him around or expose him to waivers again before Opening Day.
Soptic was the White Sox’s third-round pick in 2011 and spent last season at low Single-A, throwing 43 innings with a 5.40 ERA and 36/29 K/BB ratio as a 21-year-old.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)