Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Gillaspie has had a few brief stints with the Giants, including six games last season, but at age 25 the third baseman projects as a potential bench player after hitting .289 with an .815 OPS in 232 games at Triple-A. He’s out of minor-league options, so the White Sox have to keep him around or expose him to waivers again before Opening Day.
Soptic was the White Sox’s third-round pick in 2011 and spent last season at low Single-A, throwing 43 innings with a 5.40 ERA and 36/29 K/BB ratio as a 21-year-old.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)