Feb 23, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
All remains quiet on the Kyle Lohse front.
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports published an article this evening suggesting eight different major league teams — Brewers, Indians, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Orioles, Yankees and Cardinals — that could be in play for the free agent right-hander.
But Heyman notes in that same article that there’s no indication that any sort of agreement is close.
The Brewers have engaged in discussions with Lohse’s agent, Scott Boras, and club owner Mark Attanasio has even been invovled. But it sounds like most members of the Milwaukee front office would prefer to hang on to this year’s 17th overall pick.
Lohse, 34, posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings last season for St. Louis. He declined a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer from the Cards in November, which triggered the draft pick compensation.
Heyman, who usually gets good info on Boras clients, says a “three-year offer should get it done at this point.” Lohse was probably hoping for a four- or five-year contract when the offseason began.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)