Feb 23, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Schwimer, who turned 27 earlier this week, has a 4.62 ERA and 52/23 K/BB ratio over 48 2/3 innings in the big leagues. He made 35 appearances with the Phillies last season and found himself in the middle of a controversy in August when he refused to report to Triple-A Lehigh Valley after claiming that he was injured. He eventually reported and the MLBPA later investigated the matter, but it’s not clear if a grievance was ever filed against the Phillies.
While Schwimer could turn out to be a useful middle reliever for the Blue Jays, Charles isn’t much of a prospect. The 22-year-old has a .239/.358/.482 batting line over three seasons in the minors and has never played above Low-A. While he has some pop, he has struck out in 30 percent of his plate appearances.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)