Feb 23, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
The deal carries an invitation to spring training, but Contreras is still rehabbing from a torn UCL in his right elbow and a flexor pronator tear, and might not be ready for the start of the 2013 regular season.
Contreras surrendered 13 hits and 10 runs (eight earned) in 13 2/3 innings of relief last season with the Phillies. The 41-year-old native of Cuba owns a 4.55 career major league ERA and a 1.36 career WHIP.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)