Feb 23, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
The deal carries an invitation to spring training, but Contreras is still rehabbing from a torn UCL in his right elbow and a flexor pronator tear, and might not be ready for the start of the 2013 regular season.
Contreras surrendered 13 hits and 10 runs (eight earned) in 13 2/3 innings of relief last season with the Phillies. The 41-year-old native of Cuba owns a 4.55 career major league ERA and a 1.36 career WHIP.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)