Feb 23, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal‘s status is not getting any rosier.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the veteran shortstop had to be given an anti-inflammatory injection Friday in Cardinals camp due to lingering pain in his right (throwing) elbow.
The shot will keep Furcal from non-hitting drills for the next couple of days and will probably push his Grapefruit League debut back at least one week.
Furcal tore a ligament in his right elbow last August during a game against the Nationals and was unable to return to action. And now he is questionable to be ready for the opening of the 2013 regular season.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)