Feb 24, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
Rondon has logged only eight total innings above the Double-A level and has a troubling 5.1 career BB/9 in the minors. But the Detroit coaching staff loves his fastball velocity and the 22-year-old did pretty well Saturday afternoon in his Grapefruit League debut.
Rondon allowed a double and a walk but struck out two Blue Jays hitters and wound up with a scoreless frame. And there’s this from MLB.com’s Jason Beck:
Word is Rondon hit 100 mph a couple times, 99 consistently, in his first spring outing yesterday.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) February 24, 2013
Rondon has reportedly hit 103 mph with his fastball several times in the minor leagues. Which doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to have success at the next level. But it’s certainly something to build around.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)