Feb 24, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Rondon has logged only eight total innings above the Double-A level and has a troubling 5.1 career BB/9 in the minors. But the Detroit coaching staff loves his fastball velocity and the 22-year-old did pretty well Saturday afternoon in his Grapefruit League debut.
Rondon allowed a double and a walk but struck out two Blue Jays hitters and wound up with a scoreless frame. And there’s this from MLB.com’s Jason Beck:
Word is Rondon hit 100 mph a couple times, 99 consistently, in his first spring outing yesterday.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) February 24, 2013
Rondon has reportedly hit 103 mph with his fastball several times in the minor leagues. Which doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to have success at the next level. But it’s certainly something to build around.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)