Feb 24, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Garcia underwent an MRI exam in Nationals camp last week that revealed a mild forearm strain and was then prescribed rest after visiting with an arm specialist in the Baltimore area this weekend.
The 27-year-old boasts a nasty arsenal of pitches and posted an impressive 2.13 ERA, 0.79 WHIP and 15/2 K/BB ratio across his first 12 2/3 major league innings last season. He had a 0.86 ERA and 11.4 K/9 in 52 1/3 minor league innings before his call-up.
Garcia will be stretched out as a starter once he’s recovered from this forearm injury and is expected open the season as a member of the Triple-A Syracuse rotation. We should see more of him at some point in 2013.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)