Feb 24, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Garcia underwent an MRI exam in Nationals camp last week that revealed a mild forearm strain and was then prescribed rest after visiting with an arm specialist in the Baltimore area this weekend.
The 27-year-old boasts a nasty arsenal of pitches and posted an impressive 2.13 ERA, 0.79 WHIP and 15/2 K/BB ratio across his first 12 2/3 major league innings last season. He had a 0.86 ERA and 11.4 K/9 in 52 1/3 minor league innings before his call-up.
Garcia will be stretched out as a starter once he’s recovered from this forearm injury and is expected open the season as a member of the Triple-A Syracuse rotation. We should see more of him at some point in 2013.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)