Feb 24, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
Garcia underwent an MRI exam in Nationals camp last week that revealed a mild forearm strain and was then prescribed rest after visiting with an arm specialist in the Baltimore area this weekend.
The 27-year-old boasts a nasty arsenal of pitches and posted an impressive 2.13 ERA, 0.79 WHIP and 15/2 K/BB ratio across his first 12 2/3 major league innings last season. He had a 0.86 ERA and 11.4 K/9 in 52 1/3 minor league innings before his call-up.
Garcia will be stretched out as a starter once he’s recovered from this forearm injury and is expected open the season as a member of the Triple-A Syracuse rotation. We should see more of him at some point in 2013.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 85
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (85)