Feb 24, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Garcia underwent an MRI exam in Nationals camp last week that revealed a mild forearm strain and was then prescribed rest after visiting with an arm specialist in the Baltimore area this weekend.
The 27-year-old boasts a nasty arsenal of pitches and posted an impressive 2.13 ERA, 0.79 WHIP and 15/2 K/BB ratio across his first 12 2/3 major league innings last season. He had a 0.86 ERA and 11.4 K/9 in 52 1/3 minor league innings before his call-up.
Garcia will be stretched out as a starter once he’s recovered from this forearm injury and is expected open the season as a member of the Triple-A Syracuse rotation. We should see more of him at some point in 2013.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)