Jeffrey Loria posts “Letter To Our Fans” in Miami newspapers

Feb 24, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria took out a full-page ad in the Sunday editions of the Miami Herald, Palm Beach Post and South Florida Sun-Sentinel and published a “Letter To Our Fans.” Here it is in all its glory:

LETTER TO OUR FANS

It’s no secret that last season was not our best — actually it was one of our worst. In large part, our performance on the field stunk and something needed to be done. As a result of some bold moves, many grabbed hold of our tough yet necessary decision only to unleash a vicious cycle of negativity. As the owner of the ballclub, the buck stops with me and I take my share of the blame where it’s due. However, many of the things being said about us are simply not true. I’ve sat by quietly and allowed this to continue. Now it’s time for me to resond to our most important constituents, the fans who love the game of baseball.

THE ROSTER

Losing is unacceptable to me. It’s incumbant upon us to take swift action and make bold moves when there are glaring problems. The controversial trade we made with the Toronto Blue Jays was approved by Commissioner Bud Selig and has been almost universally celebrated by baseball experts outside of Miami for its value. We hope, with an open mind, our community can reflect on the fact that we had one of the worst records in baseball. Acquiring high-profile players just didn’t work, and nearly everyone on our team underperformed as compared to their career numbers. Our plan for the year ahead is to leverage our young talent and create a homegrown roster of long-term players who can win. In fact, objective experts have credited us with going from the 28th ranked Minor League system in baseball to the 5th best during this period. Of the Top 100 Minor Leagues rated by MLB Network, we have six — tied for the most of any team in the league. We’ll evaluate this roster and possibly bring in additional talent based on our assessment of what we need. The very same naysayers who are currently skeptical once attacked us for bringing Pudge Rodriguez to the Marlins in 2003. More than any other, that move contributed to our World Series Championship.

THE BALLPARK

The ballpark issue has been repeatedly reported incorrectly and there are some very negative accustations being thrown around. It ain’t true, folks. Those who have attacked us are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. The majority of public funding came from hotel taxes, the burden of which is incurred by tourists who are visiting our city, NOT the resident taxpayers. The Marlins organization also agreed to contribute $161.2 million toward the ballpark, plus the cost of the garage complex. In addition, the Marlins receive no operating subsidy from local government funding. The ballpark required that all debt service is paid by existing revenue. Furthermore, many are attacking the County’s method of financing for its contribution, but the Marlins had nothing at all to do with that. The fact is, with your help, we built Marlins Park, a crown jewel in our beautiful Miami skyline, which has won over twenty design and architecture awards and will help make us a premiere ballclub moving forward.

OUR FINANCES

The simple fact is that we don’t have unlimited funds, nor does any baseball team or business. Fans didn’t turn out last season as much as we’d like, even with the high-profile players the columnists decry us having traded. The main ingredient to a successful ball club is putting together a winning team, including a ncecessary core of young talent. Are we fiscally capable and responsible enough to fill the roster with talented players, invest in the daily demands of running a world-class organization and bring a World Series back to Miami? Absolutely! Is it sound business sense to witness an expensive roster with a terrible record and sit idly by doing nothing? No. I can and will invest in building a winner, but last season wasn’t sustainable and we needed to start from scratch quickly to build this team from the ground up.

COMMUNICATION

An organization is only as good as its connection with the community. We know we can do a better job communicating with our fans. That starts now. From this point forward we can ensure fans and the entire community that we will keep you abreast of our plan, rationale and motivations.

Amidst the current news coverage, it an be easy to forget how far we went together not so long ago. In 2003, I helped bring a second World Series Title to South Florida. We know how to build a winning team, and have every intention of doing so again. I know you share my passion for great Marlins baseball, my love of MIami and my desire to win again. We’re in this together and I humbly ask that we start fresh, watch us mature qjuickly as a ball club, and root for the home team in 2013.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Loria

134 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. dclogicatlast - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Say what you will about Loria, but he nailed this one.

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

In the sense that he was probably hammered when he wrote it, yes.

• 18thstreet - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Does DC Logic At Last work for the Marlins? I know we’re all anonymous here, but I can’t imagine what would possess someone to write that.

• rankinbass0 - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM

yeah he “nailed it” the way they nailed Jesus to the cross.

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Jimmythemarlinsfan thinks so. He always looks on the bright side of life.

• dcfan4life - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Jeff Loria wrote this collumn instead of saying it because he was laughing all the way through it…

• tuberippin - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM

DC Logic At Last has some real natitude to be posting a comment like that

2. crankyfrankie - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

As much as I’d like to slice this self serving pile of offal to tiny pieces I’d be rude if I did not wait for Gator to take his shot first. This rewriting of history would make vintage politboro proud.

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Politburo? It’s be impressive to Tlacaelel. We should only be grateful that Scrooge McLoria doesn’t eat his fans.

But I will open this simple desultory phillipic by suggesting, modestly as always, that Scrooge was driven to expectorate this screed by that now infamous photo of five – count ‘em, five – motley fans lined up on the first day of single game ticket sales outside an otherwise desolate Macondo Banana Massacre field, which stands in danger of being christened New Prypiat if things continue the way they have gone since that fabled morning. The, um, spectre (I don’t mean to equate the Feesh front office with the legendary Bond nemesis, nor suggest that Scrooge himself actually appreciates the importance of being Earnest Stavro Blowjob) of an empty stadium and the vacant lines in the ledgerbooks that those empty seats represent probably spurred Scrooge to action. And let’s face it – this is the guy who exploited both Vincent Price and Charles Schultz to enlarge his art empire in the first place (details forthcoming in my work-in-progress full length history of the Feesh and how we got to this point). He understands the significance of the symbol, the suggestive power of a media-disseminated image as evacuated as that morning ticket line (or whatever you want to call it). He had to do something. Or, rather, he felt he had to do something and acted on impulse, like some negative-phototropic paramecium on a tanning bed. I find it hard to believe that he consulted any profession public relations personnel before smearing this petulant little discourse into everyone’s face. The tone, demeanor, everything about it reeks of tinpot sanctimony, sulfur dioxide and mock-snapping turtle indignation. What was really called for was something along the lines of “these guys are gonna play their hearts out for you” (which, I really believe, is true). But that’s not the way of Scrooge McLoria, izzit? Much better to point out to all your alienated fans that you’ve been bewitched, bothered and bewildered by the ever-treacherous media, and that you’re not a heel, a liar and a crook – just a poor, misunderstood Bernie Madoff impersonator. That’ll pack the grandstand like nothing short of a five car NASCAR pileup rife with dismemberments and fatalities.

Before I go any further, I gotta admit that I’m at a small disadvantage here. The Macondo Feeshwrapper is such a piece of garbage that the idea of spending seventy five cents on a copy of the weekday (much less a couple of bucks ont he weekend) edition would demand more hours of contemplation than I would be willing to spend on it. Ergo, this was the first whiff of Scrooge McLoria’s diatribe that I caught. We recently had our air condition ducts and filters cleaned, too, which probably made it tougher to smell at a remove. However, now that I’ve returned from checking the yard for pythons and letting my dogs out, I have had a chance to consider Scrooge’s comments soberly and objec….objec…. objec….thoughtfully.

When confronted with a steaming heap of hot buttered groat clusters like this, you feel like a circus midget who’s been handed a toy shovel and told to clean up after the elephants. Let’s start with what another of our estimable corresponents yclep’d the Pudge card below. I will merely point out that comparing the signing of Pudge to augment a solid team that he had not just raped to having just blown up the whole team and stapled, cellotaped, band-aided and paper clipped a bunch of raggedy journeymen at the tail end of their careers to it strikes me as – shall we be generous and say, specious? And of course let’s not forget that one season after promising Macondo with a straight face – I was there, heard it with my own crurotarsic ears – that, kwote, “there will be no dismantling” (emphasis hees) of the championship clubhouse, Scrooge blew up that team too – probably because losing (profits) was unacceptable to heem.

There now. I’m just getting warmed up. We are come to a misrepresentation so jaw-dropping that it would shame an African egg-eating snake. Hey, it wasn’t me who screwed you all over, good citizens of Macondo. We had nothing to do with the financing of this stadium which is going to cost you the funds that your children and grandchildren thought would go towards expanding and deepening your bread-and-butter tourist services and attractions, or the municipal funds we giggled watching you piss away on the local infrastructure and bond payments, the money you thought might be used for improving your schools, infrastructure and health services. No-o-o-o. We’re as innocent as stem cells in Reverend Green’s Sunday sermon. We didn’t lie about our finances. Your elected representatives never asked us about them! And oh my, when the Chihuahua actually smirked to the local business leaders of Macondo that yeah, how could you help taking advantage of a gaggle of local politicians so corrupt, malleable and downright stupid, why, he was taken out of context!

Oh, and how about our stacked farm system. Yeah, well, when you hock the entire team for prospects, are you gonna bolster your farm system? Is Godzilla radioactive? Pat me on the back for playing monkeys-and-typewriters, folks. You offload that may seasoned ballplayers at one time, you’re going to download at least some decent prospects if you run the table with lead contact lenses with X’s inscribed on them over your eyes. Look at the positive aspect of the team you have and augment it? Build a winner on top of what you’ve got? No-o-o-o. Buddha forbid we should deconsecrate the outhouse just yet when our fans are so gullible.

sigh.

Let me end on a positive note: led by their septuagenarian top of the order, ably aided and abetted by their nursery school kids, the Feesh triumphed on the first day of baseball yesterday. Are these kids and codgers gonna play hard? You bet – at least until they’ve been playing in an empty stadium for a couple of months and it takes the heart out of them. Does that make Scrooge McLoria any less of a crook and shyster? Na-na-na-nope. And when reality catches up with this lovable crew of mariners, renegades and castaways – perhaps even as lovable in their way as the ’62 Mutts, who weren’t put together all that differently from this bunch – and the hot dogs are going to adipocere on the cold rollers of the empty concession stand grills, as they did they did the other day at Scrooge’s misbegotten ticket sales carnival, and they find themselves thirty games out in August, amusing themselves by trying out the echoes from different parts of the field, Scrooge McLoria’s page of flatulence will be just another ironic footnote to the history of the most atrociously mismanaged franchise in baseball.

• dondada10 - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

That was longer than Loria’s letter.

• cur68 - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I would like to say the fucker isn’t fooling anyone with this add, but the first guy to post certainly was. Its safe to say, Gator, that he’s not fooling you. This add is precisely Loria’s pattern. Anyone who’s paid attention to a serial abuser can recognize it. It has all the elements of an abuser’s screed:

Victim blaming

It’ll be different

Its not my fault

I go you something pretty

I didn’t really waste your money on shit

…and so on.

Of course this is tempered with the knowledge that some of the abused parties, if only peripherally, are Bud Selig and other owners who want to try some of the same shit. It paints them in a bad light, takes revenue sharing dollars out if their pockets and makes it harder to sell the public on paying for their playpens. Still, that’s cold comfort for the the people of Miami and baseball fans in general (not counting those of us in Beaver Land).

Speaking of whom, at least Alex Anthopolous, former Expos employee that he is, got to stick it to Loria a bit. By helping Loria with showing the world exactly what sort of massive doucher Loria is, AA bolstered the remaining Canuck club pretty handily. At the same time he shipped out some pieces that, Adeiny Hechavarria aside, really weren’t going to add anything.

PS:
        Keep an eye on that kid, Hechavarria. I think he’s gonna be pretty good.

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I believe that is the first time I’ve ever stood and applauded a comment.

Bravo, aged Phobosuchus. Bravo.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

OG, while everything you say may be true, the fact is that there is only one person to blame for this entire fiasco and that person is Bud Selig. He refuses to allow legitimate good owners (see Cuban, Mark) with a ton of cash to come into the league because he is afraid they might say something to hurt poor Bud’s feelings. If these guys want to continue to allow people like McCourt and Luria to buy teams, then they deserve every single thing they get. Sure, the fans may get screwed, but they can’t blame Luria for being a shrewd businessman as much as they should be blaming Mr. Selig for bringing in people who care more about making a buck than winning a championship.

Didn’t the Astros just get new ownership? Why isn’t anybody complaining about how little they are spending? Yeah, they suck, but there were some Free Agents out there and I don’t remember seeing Houston in the running for any of them. Where’s our daily diatribe on the greedy new ownership of Houston and their $30 million payroll??

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Chris: I think it’s kind of n open secret that Bud Light cut the Astros’ new owners quite a bit of slack because they agreed to move the team into the American League West and accept the humiliation of imposing the designated hitter on their team.

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Houston and Florida are completely different situations. First, the Astros were run for shit for a long time and had not talent in the majors or the minors. Second, the Astros ownership is not the only owner ever singled out by MLB for pocketing revenue sharing money rather than spending it on baseball players (that owner would be Loria). Third, the Astros owner didn’t cut payroll by 80% the year after opening a tax-payer funded stadium. If the Astros owner develops a history of fire sales and screwing over fan bases….then I’m sure he’ll be ripped….Loria completely screwed over Montreal, and has had 2 fire sales in Miami already while fucking over that fan base as well.

• tuberippin - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I just want to say, Old Gator, that I admire your lengthy but detailed analysis of the situation as well as your overall writing style.

Also, I am becoming convinced that you are secretly Dennis Miller.

• nbjays - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I think Old Gator has outdone himself with this rebuttal and it should be published in the same newsrags, post haste.

(Pause for slow deliberate clap a la the Wiserhood commercials)…

I must confess, though, that my first thought on seeing this headline was that, given the high price of column-inches in most newspapers, he could have saved a pisspot full of cash by simply phoning all five of the Marlins’ fans personally. Just sayin’…

• ptfu - Feb 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Gator, that was amazing, and I’m not even finished looking up what all the words mean. You gotta send it in to the Feeshwrapper, or post it on a Feesh fansite, or something.

• 4d3fect - Feb 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

OG, a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

4d3fect – my wife thinks so too. And we’re not even Roman Catholic.

ptfu – Macondo Goes Wild for Susan Alexander!

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM

paper and OG, Houston is 7 years from a World Series appearance, which is more than you can say for about 20 other teams, including the Marlins who haven’t been back since 2003. Have you checked out the Astros’ payroll for 2013?? There is no excuse for them not being involved in any of the big named free agents. I don’t care if Bud gave the new owners a break. Do they want to win?

What Loria said about his prospects is 100% true. They got the new stadium and gave it a shot last year. They brought in the wrong mix. so they cleaned house and got themselves some very good prospects. Since when did Miami fans become Yankees fans and expect $100 million dollar payrolls every year and playoffs? Because they raised the hotel tax 1% and used it to pay for the stadium? Bleh. This is a guy who already cleaned house with the Expos, and once with the Marlins and they went ahead and gave him a stadium? Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, and who is the asshole here?

To be frank, the Marlins fans are sounding like Yankees fans with their entitlement to be competitive every year. Last year was exciting…and the team failed. So they cleaned house and now have 6 of the top 100 prospects. You can’t believe they are the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies and can afford to have that payroll every year, do you?

3. sc101071 - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

He is right, the Miami Marlins may be the best minor league team in all of Major League Baseball.

4. historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Oh, he just had to play the Pudge card…

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Spent some time Googling this morning.

Whio exactly “attacked” the Feesh for signing Pudge? Damned if I could find anyone. Saw a bunch of pretty sympathetic interviews in which Pudge reiterated that he felt “light and flexible” and was looking forward to the season. Saw some skepticism – but that’s to be expected when you bring in a former superstar who’s had injury issues. But attacks? Not here. Not there. Anyone anywhere where “attacks” were launched on the Feesh? Raise your paws.

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Also raise your paws if you were there in 2004 when Scrooge let the heart and soul of his (ie, Dave Dombrowski’s) championship team walk.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM

DD drank his milkshake. Slurrrp.

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Did his milkshake bring all the boys to the yard?

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I got a shout out from OG and a mental picture of paperlions shakin’ it to Kelis. My day is complete. Lunchtime!

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Haha….always happy to oblige.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM

PS, OG, Loria’s attempt to trade on public goodwill towards Pudge is just unconscionable. It demonstrates — again — how very slimy he is.

5. proudlycanadian - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Are there any fans left?

• beefytrout - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

yes, 4. We saw a picture of them a few weeks ago in line for tickets.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Are you sure those were fans instead of one of those people-we-saw-at-Wal-Mart shots?

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Fan til I die

• cur68 - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Jimmy: You got guts brother and I admire you sticking up for Loria in the face of what is sure to be a lot of criticism, but I am also certain you are badly deluded. Loria pulled the same crap with The Expos. Now he’s adding taking credit for things he didn’t do and minimizing the harm he DID do. He’s miscasting how he spent public funds and ignoring the fact that he wasted a lot of it on glitz that doesn’t add anything to the team. This is his pattern and if you think he’s going to do anything other than harm your rooting interest and baseball in general you are going to be disappointed.

But hey, I could be wrong. THIS time he could really mean it: he means to build a winner and make you fans happy. He’s really changed. Right.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I’m well aware of what went on the expos. I did my homework when I found out Loria was buying the team. And you know what? He is still the best owner in team history and has guaranteed professional baseball in the city of my youth for the next 40 years. Anything else is gravy either way

6. pappageorgio - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

What a douche.

Without getting into a point-by-point dispute of this piece of garbage……

A big part of this mess seems to try and convince the good people of Miami that the rest of the country actually thinks they’re a good franchise and people from Miami are too close to the situation to be objective. This is total BS. I almost laughed audibly at how the big trade was “universally celebrated by baseball experts outside Miami for it’s value”.

Gimme a break.

I’m not saying there wasn’t some value in that trade…….but Loria is going to continue to trade mature players (who cost money) for young players with potential (who are cheap) because making money is way more important than winning championships. The second Stanton or any of his top 100 prospects start to get even a little expensive, they’ll be traded for cheap young players……maintaining this illusion of a franchise that’s going to be good in a few years.

People already see through it Jeffy….this whole thing comes off as really desperate

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Actually, on that he is correct. Everyone seems to agree that it was an excellent trade in baseball terms for Miami. They got quality prospects and unloaded some over-paid players whose peaks likely are behind them or who have injury concerns. It was a very expensive trade for Toronto in terms of both money spent and prospects traded.

It was still a good trade for Toronto because they had those assets to spend (both $$ and talent) and were willing to spend them as they see an opening in the AL East.

It was still a horrible trade for Miami because it gutted the team 1 year after hundreds of millions of tax dollars were used to build a new stadium and less than 1 year after Loria stated that they were committed to have a competitive team every year.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM

So, it was an excellent trade and a horrible trade?

• Kevin S. - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM

What quality prospects did the Marlins get? They ditched on long-term salary, but they got little value back.

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM

yeah, it was a good trade in a vacuum in terms of baseball value….it was a bad trade within the context of the organization.

Nicolino and Marisnick are both good prospects…Hechevarria is a great defensive SS, if his bat develops at all (which I admit, seems unlikely), he’ll be a very good SS. Henderson Alvarez is still only 22 and could be a solid mid-rotation pitcher.

The only player that had value above his contract was Johnson, who has injury issues. Buehrle (34) and Reyes (29) are both on contracts paying them more than anyone else was willing to pay them a year ago (and Reyes clearly didn’t justify his deal last year, and as he ages he’s less and less likely to do so each year), getting rid of Buck was a big plus for Miami (he’d have cleared waivers if he was outrighted), and Bonafacio is a bench player at best (below average defender with no power and league average on-base skills only because of his speed). Johnson will be a FA next year.

Getting any prospects at all while trading so many players who likely would have been paid less if on the open market (or who are about to be FAs) is a good baseball deal….and the Marlins got a lot more than nothing in return.

• The Common Man - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Not universally. A number of experts did like it. I know Keith Law didn’t. Not that Keith’s word is sacrosanct, but he’s an objective outside observer who criticized the fact that “only two [guys the Marlins got] stand out as guys the Blue Jays might someday miss, outfielder Marisnick and left-hander Nicolino”

I think it’s fair to say reaction was mixed in a baseball sense and, as you pointed out, in the context of the Marlins franchise, this was a terrible deal.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

And, I love that I got you to go subjective there. :)

• autmorsautlibertas - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I doubt that Loria wrote the letter himself. Probably written by one of his lawyers. Based on the poorly written and indefensible statements, I would venture to guess that the attorney who wrote it isn’t a very good one. I would love to cross examine him on the deceptive statements he made thoughout this “apology” (In the ancient Greek sense of the word).
      Loria is a slimy bottom feeder and does not seem too bright. He needs to be run out of baseball.

7. kmgannon - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

The only thing that would have made Loria’s screed any better is if he would have used Comic Sans.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I love that it purports to be sincerely written.

8. whodeytn - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Say what you will about Loria, but he nailed this one.
    ======

Whatever you’re smoking, it must be good

• thebadguyswon - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

The weak-minded are easily swayed by politicians.

9. Kevin S. - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Hey Jeffrey… the good people of Miami are plenty smart enough to realize that had the proceeds of the hotel tax not gone to funding your boondoggle of a stadium, they’d be funding much more essential government functions in the area. Nobody’s buying that tripe.

• samu0034 - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Are they diverting tax money that previously went to something else, or have they added a new, additional tax to hotels, the purpose of which is to fund the stadium? If it’s the latter, it’s money that wouldn’t have existed without the need to pay for the stadium. Not saying that this isn’t a hell of a spin job on Loria’s part, but it might not be fair to imply that this is money that is being stolen from funding schools, roads, police, etc.

• Kevin S. - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

If it’s the latter, it’s money that could have been generated regardless of whether or not the city pumped half a billion dollars into that clown house.

• Kevin S. - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Also, if it’s the latter, new hotel taxes would have a drag on tourism, hurting the overall economy. It might be a worthwhile tradeoff if the funds are re-invested in the area, but certainly not if they’re used for corporate welfare.

10. raysfan1 - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

My favorite line:
    ” Fans didn’t turn out last season as much as we’d like, even with the high-profile players the columnists decry us having traded.”

That’s it, blame the fans. The season total attendance was 2.2 million last year to watch what he correctly describes as not a good team. That was their 3rd highest total ever, and 900K more than their 2003 World Series season. That may be 12th of the 16 NL teams last year, but it would have been in the upper half of MLB attendance every year until 1998, with the exception of 1993.

• raysfan1 - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM

…and he will be lucky to get half that this year.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM

You knew he’d have to get a jab in there somewhere.

11. paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Objectively, most of the things in the ad are true….the problem is that there is no evidence that Loria has any idea how to run a baseball team or that his primary interest is in winning. Yes, they won the WS the year he bought the team….but not because of anything he did….he then immediately had a fire sale and their high water mark since then has been 87 wins. They have not been to the playoffs since….and they really don’t seem likely to see them again any time soon.

12. danielisthor - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Must of been written by the PR Company they hired last month. I guess i should wait 2+months to respond to this garbage letter to the fans as he did in “composing” it. FREE STANTON!!!!!!!

13. Charles Gates - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Content aside, that was a very poorly written statement. Loria was either trying to dumb down his letter with a patronizing usage of ain’t, or his communication skill set is commiserate with his on-field product. His mixing of I’s and We’s is stylistically awkward and transparent in its blame casting. While it’s good that he addressed his critics publicly, the manner in which he did it is just as infuriating as the his actions that lead to his letter in the first place.

• cackalackyank - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I was wondering if the spelling errors are in the original, too.

14. sabatimus - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM

What a crock of shit.

15. uwsptke - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

“Losing is unacceptable to me.”

He’s talking about losing money, right?

16. joejaws75 - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Dear Jeffrey. We forgive you in Philly. An if you send us Stanton you will have our full support

17. randygnyc - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Charlesgates- I knew after the first few sentences that this was NOT written by a PR firm. It was smooth enough or vague. It is clear that Loria wrote this himself.

As for the content of the message, I don’t think baseball fans care what kind of minor league prospects you have when they are at the expense of major league talent. His statement is more an admission that for the foreseeable future, the Marlins won’t be contending for anything. How can fans embrace that? It’s not as if the tickets are so inexpensive that people will choose to see a game instead of the movies. And without any expectations of winning, I can’t see fans coming to the stadium just to see Stanton play.

Next we’ll hear that because the fans abandoned the team in 2013, his hands will be tied for next year, while failing to realize or acknowledge that he gave them no reason to come this year.

18. b453841l - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

“The ballpark required that all debt service is paid by existing revenue.”
    ——————————————————-
    I’m by no means an expert on this issue, but it appears Loria is simply securing a profitable business venture by raiding the public coffers. I find the above-quoted statement is most offensive to the people it targets. Whether or not the revenue used already “existed” is irrelevant. I’m sure the locality has no legitimate use for this revenue they were already receiving. Rather than using government money to improve schools, physical infrastructure, or public services, or even using it to provide a tax refund for the public, the now ousted politicians decided that the best use of this money was to pay for a stadium for Loria. By trying to paint the scorn he is facing as coming from the public’s misunderstanding of the funding being “old tax v new tax,” he shows how out of touch he is with reality. By bringing up such a weak point as evidence that he is not a bad guy and simply misunderstood, any other potentially legitimate points he raises are immediately suspect. Loria is a greedy bastard–buying an advertisement in the local paper doesn’t change that.

19. cur68 - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Loria could have said the same shit (minus the stadium) when he gutted the Expos. Look how that worked out?

All that public money spent on his stadium COULD and SHOULD have been spent on public infrastructure, never mind the fact that what was spent essentially boiled down to fish tanks and movable art (not that I mind Tommy, but lets face it: that sculpture is pretty unnecessary and expensive). That stuff was a HUGE waste of tax money.

He’s taking credit for the WS Win, is he? He had nothing to do with that: he bought that team in WS Win Shape and he gutted the team after the win.

He has a track record of destroying winning teams and losing, so that’s the lens this latest series of moves should be seen by: last season was a PR stunt and what followed is precisely what you’d expect of a person who’s done this before.

Jeffery Loria is little more than a serial abuser of the public trust and MLB Teams. Like all abusers he buys frippery to mask the fact that he will abuse again then, when he does, he mouths platitudes and cries about “circumstance”, “it’ll be better from here on out” and the ever popular with the abusive sect: “its your own fault this abuse happened to you” when he blames the fans.

I owe him a kick in the ass and a knuckle sandwich to the kisser for the Expos. Watching him carry on the same shit with another team is sickening.

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Excellent point Cur….he has a lot longer history than his 10 years in Miami as an owner that uses the team as a piggy bank and has no idea how to run a franchise.

Everyone loves to say that players always take the most money, but that really isn’t the case. Many players take less to play in a particular part of the continent, for a chance to win, or for a chance at more playing time (or to play a preferred position). It will be very interesting to see if Miami is able to attract any high-end FAs at all if they are willing to spend $$ again.

• cur68 - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

For a change, it looks like he hurt Selig and the other owners, too. They have to pay out revenue sharing to this dog a franchise. Knowing that those guys have to GIVE Loria money always makes me smile. NOTHING but hurting them in the wallet might get them to leverage ole Jeffy out of MLB. Not only the dough, but all this might make it harder for those who want public money for their own playpens to get it. I know, I know: never underestimate the greed and stupidity of public officials, but there’s a chance…isn’t there? Anyhow, its going to be a long season for the Miami Baseball Fans. Both of them.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Look at what happened with McCourt though. Unless Loria drives the franchise to teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, I don’t think Selig will do a dang thing. As long as Loria can make payroll, Selig will hide behind plausible baseball judgment and MLB will just slap his hand on spending.

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Yep, it doesn’t matter how much an owner screws the rest of the league….as long as he can pay his own team’s bills, it’ll legally be very difficult for the owner to be forced out. So….you may get many years of enjoying Loria bilking dollars from the revenue sharing pool.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

So, the only answer is for us to recruit a gold-digger girlfriend to take Loria down. How’s your milkshake?

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM

He already has a wife that looks like she’s barely more than half his age….just need to get her to file for divorce and hope there is no prenup.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM

You could be the shake that comes between them…

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Is seems highly unlikely that she would be as prone to cheating or dishonesty as he is….and I doubt I’m his type. Burgie lives in FL, right?

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Genius! She can ply him w/ rum for compromising photos. I’m sure she’ll go for it. You ask her.

PS I hope you upload a photo of your “Free Stanton” t-shirt.

• Kevin S. - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Baseball missed their opportunity to Loria-proof their revenue-sharing model in the last CBA negotiations. Even if they figure out how to freeze him out next time, figure it has to be a couple years past that before he finally sells, right?

• cur68 - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I eagerly await Indaburg’s reply to THIS…

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Yeah….I’m going to time out, aren’t I? ….and possibly never getting out. Do they serve meatloaf in timeout?

• cur68 - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I think you’re getting a knuckle sandwich in Timeout. Try that “Milkshake” thing on her. You never know, it might work.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I’m pretty sure you’ll be ingesting something that’s legal in the DR but not here.

• indaburg - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I was not feeling well yesterday and the thought of Loria in a compromising position sent me to pray to the porcelain gods. I wish I was kidding. I’m sorry, as much as I’d love to help out the Feesh, I cannot help. Vomit just isn’t seductive. Then again, Loria seems like the type to be into same nasty stuff. (Oh, god, nausea is returning.)

I’m sure we can hire one of the plentiful nubile South Beach beauties to lure Loria into your evil genius trap.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Wait, that’s it????? You’re gonna let paper off that easy????

/pouts

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

You’re like the big sister I never had.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Sister. Interesting. I almost never get that.

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Well, you are trying to get me in trouble with a higher power.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Well, you might give me a noogie after you read another of my posts today… he he

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Dang, are you going to make me search for it? Been busy working and haven’t read much on here.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

You’ll know it when you finally find it. :)

20. cackalackyank - Feb 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I am just curious, was this ad placed in the Sports section, the Funny Papers, or maybe more appriopritely, the Obituaries?

21. leerosenthall - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Wow, how many typos were in that screed? Scary that he doesn’t know enough (or is too paranoid) to have somebody proofread his tirades before he buys ad space in a major publication.

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Scrooge McLoria is notorious within the organization for making impulsive decisions and thinking with his balls instead of his head. He clearly wrote this himself and placed it, or ordered someone to place it, without bothering to absorb any constructive criticism. It’s got all the earmarks of a Scrooge McLoria gambit – lies, denials, misrepresentations and a vituperative tone. Yeah, very effective. His P/R people must be passing around a bottle of Stoli even as you’re reading this.

• Kevin S. - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Stoli? You and I know damn well that Loria wouldn’t spring for anything higher than Skol for his employees.

• leerosenthall - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Yeah, I was kind of surprised that some of the comments above were claiming it was written by some lawyer or PR person. Uh, no!

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Kevin: I think they wanted to get decapitated badly enough after this fiasco that they were willing to trot down to the local Beriozhka and spring for a bottle of the real stuff themselves.

22. gbar22 - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

People will ridicule him but as a mets fan I appreciate his honesty in this if only the mets organization would take a heads up on Loria and actually speak frankly with fans instead of lying and pretending like they are in on big names when in reality they too want to field a crappy club for their own reasons.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You are truly clueless if you think the Wilpons are the same as Loria. Wow.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Yeah, the Wilson’s took a ton of money from Citi Bank which was bailed out by the tax payers. That’s much worse than anything Loria has done

• thebadguyswon - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

The Wilpons want to win. Loria does not. End of story.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Really? I have an idea. Throw an insane amount of money at Jason Bay and trade away R.A. Dickey and come back and tell me how much you want to win again? The only owner in all of pro sports more sleazy than Wilpon is Bob Kraft

• thebadguyswon - Feb 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Haha…yeah cause we all know they got nothing in the Jays trade. And that they’re still paying Bay after this year. Its called rebuilding. I know you guys no a thing or two about that.

PS – the Dolphins suck too

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Well aren’t you just a little asshole. The mets have been rebuilding since 86′ and play in one of the areas in New York that most smells like urine. You must be so proud

• thebadguyswon - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I love internet tough guys!

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Jimmy: the Wilpons not only settled with the Madoff trustee, but they’re actually going to get back some of the money that they lost on the deal. Sorry, the comparison won’t fly.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

The Wilpons are dicks….I know that. But Loria is pure scum. I see two different grades of douchebaggery with the two owners.

• Old Gator - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Is there such a thing as “lying frankly,” or did Scrooge McLoria just discover it?

23. charlutes - Feb 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

After all the blogs on HT that have ripped Loria, you’d think there would be some kind of reactionary commentary. Especially since there’s lots to rip.

• Kevin S. - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The blog staff probably figured that nothing they could say would top Old Gator’s reaction. Speaking of which, if that doesn’t get its own “Comment of the Day/Week/Month” post shortly, whoever is on duty right now has seriously dropped the ball.

24. jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Not that a lot of people will believe Mr. Loria. But very well said. Go Marlins! Let the haters hate.

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Fooled you once, shame on him.
      Fooled you twice, shame on you.

• cackalackyank - Feb 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Dang if he does it again that’ll be 3 times..so that means some Beetlejuice like catstrophe will ensue.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

And what did he fool me about? If anything, last years team fooled me into believing high priced free agents might get you a .500 team. Oh well

25. tfbuckfutter - Feb 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I’m not sure if anyone has touched on this or not….but he made the same argument I recently heard someone make about putting a soccer stadium in Orlando….”It’s not new tax money.”

Great…..so it’s tax money they are already taking and applying somewhere? So if they divert that money….what happens to the sources that were being funded with it?

Oh…well, they have to raise that from other sources now, don’t they? Or cut the programs.

So it really LEADS to new taxes either directly or indirectly doesn’t it?

• historiophiliac - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I love it when they try to sell us an extension of a tax that is set to expire. “It’s not a NEW tax. It’s the same as we’ve been paying.” That kills me.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey