Feb 24, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
Madson said he is scheduled to throw on back-to-back days on Monday and Tuesday. He said he’s not sure how the progression will go this week, whether he’ll increase frequency or distance. So far he’s only thrown at 60 feet and the next step is 90, but he said there’s not much difference.
Madson underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last April and began feeling renewed discomfort in that elbow when he tried to ramp up his throwing program in early February. So the 32-year-old right-hander is taking it slowly this spring in Angels camp and might not be able to make a single appearance in a Cactus League game.
The Angels seem likely to turn back to Ernesto Frieri for early-season save opportunities.
Madson inked a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim in November.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 27
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)