Feb 24, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
Madson said he is scheduled to throw on back-to-back days on Monday and Tuesday. He said he’s not sure how the progression will go this week, whether he’ll increase frequency or distance. So far he’s only thrown at 60 feet and the next step is 90, but he said there’s not much difference.
Madson underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last April and began feeling renewed discomfort in that elbow when he tried to ramp up his throwing program in early February. So the 32-year-old right-hander is taking it slowly this spring in Angels camp and might not be able to make a single appearance in a Cactus League game.
The Angels seem likely to turn back to Ernesto Frieri for early-season save opportunities.
Madson inked a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim in November.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)