Feb 24, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
Madson said he is scheduled to throw on back-to-back days on Monday and Tuesday. He said he’s not sure how the progression will go this week, whether he’ll increase frequency or distance. So far he’s only thrown at 60 feet and the next step is 90, but he said there’s not much difference.
Madson underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last April and began feeling renewed discomfort in that elbow when he tried to ramp up his throwing program in early February. So the 32-year-old right-hander is taking it slowly this spring in Angels camp and might not be able to make a single appearance in a Cactus League game.
The Angels seem likely to turn back to Ernesto Frieri for early-season save opportunities.
Madson inked a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim in November.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)