Feb 24, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
Madson said he is scheduled to throw on back-to-back days on Monday and Tuesday. He said he’s not sure how the progression will go this week, whether he’ll increase frequency or distance. So far he’s only thrown at 60 feet and the next step is 90, but he said there’s not much difference.
Madson underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last April and began feeling renewed discomfort in that elbow when he tried to ramp up his throwing program in early February. So the 32-year-old right-hander is taking it slowly this spring in Angels camp and might not be able to make a single appearance in a Cactus League game.
The Angels seem likely to turn back to Ernesto Frieri for early-season save opportunities.
Madson inked a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract with Anaheim in November.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)