A Honus Wagner card is going up for auction

Feb 25, 2013, 9:21 AM EST

Honus Wagner card

I always link to stories about Honus Wagner T-206 cards going up for auction because when I was a kid I was convinced I was going to find one if I looked around in junkyards, garage sales and flea markets long enough. I would have settled for a ’52 Mantle, but the Wagner was really what I was looking for.

That said, even if I had the means, I don’t think I’d get in on the action now. It’s just … too much:

The card being auctioned at Goldin’s is one of the three highest quality cards in existence. On a scale of 1 to 10, a card graded 8 was bought by Wayne Gretzky in 1991 for $451,000. After a handful of other collectors, it rests now with Ken Kendrick, owner of the the Arizona Diamondbacks, who paid $2.8 million for it in 2007.

Another card, with a 5 grade, was sold to an anonymous buyer in 2008 for $1.62 million.

The card at Goldin’s is also graded 5. It’s been in the hands of a private collector and locked in a bank vault for the past five years.

What a waste. Like this guy doesn’t have a bike with spokes?

I’m more surprised that Kendrick’s is the best quality one out there. While near-mint condition cards are great, you’d think he’d want something more gritty.

1. IdahoMariner - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM

extra points for gritty snark, craig. i am up way too early (for me) for outright laughter, but it was a good warmup for later.

2. albertmn - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

$2.8 million for a piece of paper. I just find it amazing that some people have so much money they have nothing better to do with it.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

If that is the way they chose to spend their money what can you do, I would hope he had it on display for Arizona fans to see, I know, I know, in a display case so you can’t touch.

I would hate to own it and have it in a safety deposit box.I guess when it is an Investment and Insurance and such this is what you have to do, hey, I got my valuables in a safety box.

Hey Craig, I change my mind I won’t be bidding after all, it’s all yours buddy.

3. unclemosesgreen - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Kendrick bought the card from a hockey player though. Extra grit points.

That player was Wayne “Lady Bing” Gretzky. Minus 1/2 of those grit points.

• yahmule - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Yes, but the co-owner of the card was cherubic white collar felon Bruce McNall. Defrauding six bank out of a quarter of a billion dollars and getting 70 months in minimum security gotta be worth some grit.

4. misterfrump - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

If this is $1.62 million, I’m assuming I can get at least 5k out of my 1988 Tops Danny Tartabull, right?

• dowhatifeellike - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I have some autographed Larry Walkers and Scott Ericksons around here somewhere… didn’t realize I was sitting on a gold mine!

• misterfrump - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Oh, I am the proud owner of a 1990 Topps Scott Erickson rookie card, *that I rushed out and bought for $15 in 1991*. I was a little kid, had some allowance and was sure I was making an incredible investment in my future.

As you can see, history has proven me correct.

• uwsptke - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I did the same thing, except it was for the reigning 1992 AL Rookie of the Year (Pat Listach). Talk about buying high.

5. mybrunoblog - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

There has always been some talk in the memoribilia world that this Wagner card has been trimmed. I wonder if anyone has ever tested the card. Oh wait. The union won’t agree to that. Nevermind.

• jwbiii - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I’m sure the card has been “authenticated.” How a person becomes an authenticator is another matter. I thought the article I read on the subject was on Peter Nash’s site but I can’t find it now. The high end memorabilia business is pretty filthy, rife with theft and forgeries.

6. badintent - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Craig ,I had a 1956 Mantle, gave it to my brother and he sold it for chump chance.

7. denny65 - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Yeah, well I have a ’56 Roy McMillan that came in a pack of hot dogs. So there.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5034)
  2. M. Kemp (3538)
  3. J. Upton (2778)
  4. J. Kang (2768)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2683)
  1. C. McGehee (2677)