As if you needed another reason to hate Alex Rodriguez

Feb 25, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP

The Boston Globe has a feature on the non-profit foundations set up by athletes, and as one might expect, some do a better job of funneling money to their stated missions than others do.

One, though, stands apart and might even be considered a fraud:

A foundation started by New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez gave only 1 percent of proceeds to charity during its first year of operation in 2006, then stopped submitting mandatory financial reports to the IRS and was stripped of its tax-exempt status. Yet the group’s website still tells visitors the A-Rod Family Foundation is a nonprofit organization.

That website, hosted by MLB.com, remains active, though the latest news is from Sept. 5, 2007.  It should be noted that while nothing suggests the Foundation has been shut down, there’s no apparent way to donate to it on the webpage. There’s also no link back to the foundation on Rodriguez’s official homepage. And given that Alex’s ex-wife, Cynthia, is featured prominently as part of the Foundation’s website, one assumes that if A-Rod does decide to jump back into the charity business, he’ll be coming up with something completely new.

The Boston Globe’s reporting also suggests that the foundations of Josh Beckett and ex-Patriots receiver Deion Branch weren’t very efficient, while those set up by Curt Schilling and 49ers quarterback Alex Smith did a better job of making sure what they took in got into the proper hands.

1. badintent - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Curt Shilling ‘s foundation did a better job that Arodless ?? Will wonders never cease ????

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Better wait till we check if “the proper hands” is his bankruptcy trustee.

2. cackalackyank - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

A-rods Charity= OJ’s hunt for the real killers?

• djpostl - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Big Sloppy “gettin back to us” on his PED test is a more accurate analogy, but I hate the schmuck Arod so we’ll go with it

3. glennsyank13 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Still better than Costanza’s Human Foundation.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Money for people.

• jeffa43 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Festivus!

• aceshigh11 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

It has a certain understated stupidity to it.

• Caught Looking - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM

With the Human Fund, 100% of proceeds went to the intended recipient.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Guy will go down in baseball history as one of if not the all-time greatest POS, no doubt about it.

• cosanostra71 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hard to beat Ty Cobb on that one.

I’ve never really disliked A-Rod that much. I think that the steroid use and being an arrogant asshole, while not the best character assets, are blown up by the media to be bigger than they really are. This, however, is just good old fashioned douchebaggery. I now genuinely dislike the guy.

5. Bryz - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Oh come on, it’s not like he was raising money for TBD or graft vs. host.

6. turdfurgerson68 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

If the Globe article is true, A-Rod is a piece of sh*t.

And so are the others slammed in the article.

7. throwstrikes - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Post did this story 5 years ago. Old News.

Since then A-Rod has donated millions of dollars to the Miami Boys and Girls Club, Health Programs for NY children at Columbia University Dental School and Bronx Lebanon Hospital as well as Little Leagues in the Bronx.

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Yep. Quick google search of “Alex Rodriguez Charities” returned >2million hits. A quick whip through the top 10 on the list confirms that Alex Rodriguez gives considerably to charities every year. But hey, I guess we shouldn’t let a few easily checked facts stand in the way of a good smear job.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Are you drinking more since you’ve been forced into the role of A-Rod defender of late?

• cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM

No drinking. I’m using crack.

All joking aside, I’m a liberal wimp on most issues: I support gun control, abortion rights, marrying whatever consenting adult you want to marry, clean air, increased government oversight of big business. All that jazz. Among those wimpy liberal views is a deep antipathy for smearing people just because they are unpopular. When they hell did Alex Rodriguez get to be the worst person in the world? Its like a friggin vendetta. Anyone writing an article about his defunct charity could have also noted that while it is not active he remains quite active in philanthropic causes through other means. When did reporting in a balanced manner come to be passé?

• tuberippin - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM

He damn well better be donating a hefty chunk of that money to charity considering the underhanded tactics and deception he had to engage in, in order to get not one, but two separate deals in excess of two hundred and fifty million dollars. If you’re going to be an enormous dick to get the bottom dollar, you better be reinvesting some of that money back into society.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I like to make fun of the centaur as much as most, I guess (some dudes should just stand there and look pretty)…but is he the worst POS ever? Not even close. Worse than pedophile priests? No. Worse than Jeff Loria? I say no. Worse than the companies that promise to make me ridiculously attractive to the opposite sex w/ their creams, clothes, perfume, etc? Well, maybe that one’s a toss up. But, still, worst a-hole ever? Nah.

Yeah, so, could you pass the crack pipe, please?

• cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM

The point Tuber is that he does indeed donate a lot to charity, so you can dial the outrage back a bit. The further point is that the article that references his disused charity website fails to mention that he does much else aside from that one site on the internet. Regardless of what Alex Rodriguez does or does not do, it should be an expectation of reporting that a fair view of the issue is put forth. What was written was slanted to produce noting but negativity towards those named and it does not delve into if these are the sole charities that these people support. I should think that a fair media should be far more important to a functional society that what a handful of rich athletes do or do not do charity-wise with their own money.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Not the biggest POS in the history of the world, but he would have to crack baseball’s top three, no? He’s just all kinds of unlikeable on and off the field no matter what he’s doing.

• cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I’m going to need more crack if I have to keep sticking up for ARod, I’ll tell ya that much. I find him pretty hard to like and I confess: I do not try very hard to like him. On the other hand he’s hardly a monster and certainly not the worst guy in baseball, even today. All that said, it shouldn’t be the press’s job to smear him or misrepresent things about him. They shouldn’t do that to anyone. Still, he shouts at one of My Boys when a pop up’s being fielded again, I’m calling for his flesh to be included in British ground beef.

• captainwisdom88 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:03 AM

The media is a crazy bit**. They will do or say anything that makes headlines and sway popular media. If smearing A-rod gets a million hits on their websites then they are going to keep doing it because ppl eat it up

Cur68 has spoke with reason while others are merely blowing smoke out of their emotional rear ends. NOBODY likes A-Roid. He makes more money than us. He cheated the sport. He plays for one of the most polarizing and hated franchises in sports. Yet here we are very actively engaging in A-rod discussions. Its all very simple if we take a large step back and look at the writing on the wall

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:56 AM

cur, because you live in the arctic tundra, I feel like you should start referring to everyone with hockey-style nicknames (I guess you would be curry :-) )

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Don’t listen to paper, cur, cuz then I won’t understand anything you say. This is not an exclusive treehouse, thank you.

• cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Hockey style nicknames are a matter of how you say them. Just use any first name with and “ie” ending and talk like you got no front teeth and your lips are stiff with scar tissue. Nothing to it.

• bigharold - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Cur, Because you asked…

“When they hell did Alex Rodriguez get to be the worst person in the world?”

Maybe about the time he signed that ridiculous contract that Tom Hicks gave him but certainly by the time Hank Steinbrenner gave him an even dumber one. What I don’t get is why Tom Hicks and Hank Steinbrenner aren’t vilified as the Village Idiots that they are for offering the contracts in the first place.

“When did reporting in a balanced manner come to be passé?”

You have heard of the Fox Not Facts crowd. They’re all the rage down here in the Not So North North America with the Flat Earth Society. Facts, evidence, logic and reason, .. not required. Just stake out a baseless position, wrangle up some folks with torches and pitch folks, have Bill O’Reilly lead the invocation get Hannity to whip up the crowd into a frenzy and voila instant mob.

• polonelmeagrejr - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:11 AM

He donated $5,000 to a summer camp for conceited children.

• indaburg - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:34 AM

And also to the Center For Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM

You know the vain and entitled are so misunderstood. I could’ve benefitted from such a camp myself as a youngun’. Unfortunately, I was forced to bunk and make crafts with the rabble. Still it taught me excellent life skills…like outrunning mean girls and how to hide your $/jewelry/glasses from jealous little tweens.

• professormaddog31 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

LOL indaburg, you win today’s “make me laugh like a circus seal” award.

PS – that Hansel is so hot right now.

8. jwbiii - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Unfortunately, these kinds of number are not at all unusual. For example, my local United Way chapter runs at about 8% efficiency.

• jwbiii - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM

The Miami Boys and Girls Club as throwstrikes mentioned? 3% goes to charitable causes.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I HATE the United Way. Give to the charities directly, people. You don’t need extra bureaucracy.

• raysfan1 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM

My experience is more with the annual Combined Federal Campaign, which I always liked–I found that people were more generous when the donation could be done through monthly payroll deduction, making budgeting simpler. The caveat I stressed with my fellow service members was to select specific charities to which they wanted to donate. One could simply donate to a CFC general fund, but there diametrically opposed charities (example being both Pro-Life groups and Pro-Choice groups)…donating to the general fund gives money to both.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Sorry, raysfan, the history sticks in my craw. But, then, again, I’m still trying to choke down donating to your church w/ your credit card to get cash back or flier miles. Ahhh, charity.

• indaburg - Feb 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM

United Way does have a sordid history, but my experience with them has been very positive, working with Hands On Tampa Bay, their local volunteer arm. They organize and mobilize hundreds of volunteers with dozens of organizations that need help, groups as varied as the SPCA, Meals On Wheels, The Spring (shelter for domestic violence victims in Tampa), Horses for the Handicapped, various nursing homes, children’s hospitals and… you get the idea. They really do a lot of good, at least locally.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Yeah, I just give directly.

• indaburg - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I don’t blame you. I don’t give them my money–just my time. It’s more than I could ever afford to give them, and I know my time is going directly where I want.

9. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM

And given that Alex’s ex-wife, Cynthia, is featured prominently as part of the Foundation’s website, one assumes that if A-Rod does decide to jump back into the charity business, he’ll be coming up with something completely new.

Or here’s a possibility, considering his ex-wife filed for divorce in ’08, it’s a site that’s obsolete but still up and running. What a stupid f’ing article.

oh, and let’s not bring up the fact that just because he gave his name to it doesn’t mean he was actually running it. So let’s not forget he might not have had anything to do with the charity. No, that can’t be a possibility…

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

My, what passes for perpetual outrage these days…

• blacksables - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:01 AM

If you can’t actually donate any money, how is he defrauding anyone? How do you get cheated out of money you don’t actually give?

Another half-ass effort by Matthew. And only half-ass in the fact that he couldn’t find a way to blame Tony LaRussa or the Cardinals somehow.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Maybe it was just a long day. He might still be able to find a LaRussa connection. Want me to work on that? ;)

10. jelliot1978 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM

This article was about non-profits setup by athletes not how much they donate. The problem is people who are not athletes donate to these charities and those donations don’t go where they are intended. If it is true that Arod had a NPO that only used 1% towards the intended target then he stole other people’s money which is slimy, and maybe criminal.

• throwstrikes - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Like I said, story was already written 5 years ago.

“Mr. Rodriguez will be closing down the AROD Foundation and the AROD Family Foundation in 2008 and distributing the funds to a number of noteworthy institutions, including the Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center and the Boys and Girls Club of Miami, where he started a learning center. Funds will also be donated to a select number of charities in the Dominican Republic that are dedicated to children.”

11. kiwicricket - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Last week I actually sent something to HBT regarding trying to sponsor a little league team/buy them kit or such things.

I figure that if most of the regulars who read/post donate something in the range of $2-$5 that would provide a good deal of new kit or some new uniforms for a kids team. Would be great to do, needing such a frivolous amount of time to organize. No real excuse not to, to be honest.

They have not bothered to reply yet. If the rest of you lot are keen, perhaps the power of numbers can sway them. Please indicate your interest.

(If enough is raised, I promise to write the letter to Canseco offering a Little League Managerial position myself)

• pauleee - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM

That’s a fine idea and I’d certainly put in 5 bucks into the HBT pool. But how would we choose which team to sponsor? There must be dozens of Little League teams in the US.

12. jeffa43 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM

To writer… We know he is a circus, and we don’t like him either.

Just be patient, wait a few weeks, and the fraud will give you better material for A-rod hating.

Dude can’t get out of his own way, 2008 or today.

13. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM

People first began attacking The A-Rod Family Foundation six years ago. I wrote about it then:

The attacks made little sense then but they make even less sense now given how the charity is clearly defunct.

14. m3dman3 - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM

It’s the Boston Globe, worst writers from the worst city in the country. Boston is the butthole of America for a reason.

15. skeleteeth - Feb 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Beating this dead horse does not beat the ridiculousness that is the NFL’s tax-exempt status or the fact that MLB used similar tactics to rip off the populus until as recently as 2007.

16. mattwpearson - Feb 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

What a stupid article

17. drez146 - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I didn’t need another reason

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4992)