Feb 25, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Cliff Lee, who played for the Rangers for a few months, weighed in on new teammate Michael Young’s treatment by those same Rangers. He said the Rangers “borderline took him for granted” and otherwise treated him poorly:
“I think that baffled a lot of people who were around that organization … I can’t understand their thinking on a few of the moves they made with him. He’s a really good player. I don’t know why you wouldn’t just let him do his thing … in my opinion, you want guys like Michael Young around. And you want him to be happy. And you want to let him go out there and just do what he does.”
I have no idea what the Rangers allegedly did to mistreat Young. He was moved off shortstop, second and third for better players. Despite this he was always a full-time player, routinely playing in 150+ games a year with 600+ plate appearances.
I have heard that the lines of communication were poor and that may very well have led to some bad blood between Young and the front office. But Young likewise didn’t always communicate well, turning beefs with the front office, legitimate or otherwise, into trade demands and public drama.
Clearly stuff happened and clearly it took two to tango, but if someone could tell me how that amounted to Young not “being able to do his thing,” I’d really like to hear it.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 25
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)