Feb 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Derek Jeter‘s recovery from a broken ankle has gone well enough that the Yankees shortstop has a date in mind for his spring training debut: March 10.
Jeter has repeatedly said that he expects to be ready for Opening Day and seeing game action beginning on March 10 would give him plenty of time for that, assuming he avoids any setbacks along the way.
General manager Brian Cashman told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that Jeter will likely play designated hitter initially “and then expand” to getting reps at shortstop, adding: “Physically he’s capable of doing everything. It’s just we’re being very cautious about how we take him out of the gate.”
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)