Feb 25, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
The choice doesn’t come as a big surprise, as this will be Kennedy’s third straight Opening Day assignment. The 28-year-old right-hander went 15-12 with a 4.02 ERA and 187/55 K/BB ratio over 208 1/3 innings last season.
Gibson also announced today that Kennedy will be followed in the rotation by Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley and Brandon McCarthy. Randall Delgado, Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs are currently competing for the fifth spot.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)