Feb 25, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Everyone makes mistakes, even umpires. The key is (a) how often you make them; and (b) how you handle it when you do. There’s no better example of that than Jim Joyce. He may have had one of the more memorable screwups in umpiring history, but he handled it well and, more importantly, doesn’t make such mistakes often. Indeed, in poll after poll of major leaguers, Joyce is named the best or at least one of the best umps in the business.
That’s being rewarded today. From MLB:
Major League Baseball announced today the changes to the Major League Umpiring staff for the 2013 regular season. The changes include three new crew chiefs and three new full-time Major League Umpires. The three new crew chiefs are veteran Major League Umpires Jim Joyce (25 years), Ted Barrett (16 years) and Fieldin Culbreth (16 years).
Out are umpires Derryl Cousins, Ed Rapuano and Tim Tschida, who are retiring and/or are moving into supervisory roles. Promoted to full-time umpiring: Vic Carapazza, Manny Gonzalez and Alan Porter, who are 33, 33 and 35 years-old, respectively, and who worked their way up from the minors, like all of ‘em do.
Congrats, farewell, and congrats, you guys. For better or worse, we’re all watching.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)