Feb 25, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Everyone makes mistakes, even umpires. The key is (a) how often you make them; and (b) how you handle it when you do. There’s no better example of that than Jim Joyce. He may have had one of the more memorable screwups in umpiring history, but he handled it well and, more importantly, doesn’t make such mistakes often. Indeed, in poll after poll of major leaguers, Joyce is named the best or at least one of the best umps in the business.
That’s being rewarded today. From MLB:
Major League Baseball announced today the changes to the Major League Umpiring staff for the 2013 regular season. The changes include three new crew chiefs and three new full-time Major League Umpires. The three new crew chiefs are veteran Major League Umpires Jim Joyce (25 years), Ted Barrett (16 years) and Fieldin Culbreth (16 years).
Out are umpires Derryl Cousins, Ed Rapuano and Tim Tschida, who are retiring and/or are moving into supervisory roles. Promoted to full-time umpiring: Vic Carapazza, Manny Gonzalez and Alan Porter, who are 33, 33 and 35 years-old, respectively, and who worked their way up from the minors, like all of ‘em do.
Congrats, farewell, and congrats, you guys. For better or worse, we’re all watching.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 8
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)