Feb 25, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Everyone makes mistakes, even umpires. The key is (a) how often you make them; and (b) how you handle it when you do. There’s no better example of that than Jim Joyce. He may have had one of the more memorable screwups in umpiring history, but he handled it well and, more importantly, doesn’t make such mistakes often. Indeed, in poll after poll of major leaguers, Joyce is named the best or at least one of the best umps in the business.
That’s being rewarded today. From MLB:
Major League Baseball announced today the changes to the Major League Umpiring staff for the 2013 regular season. The changes include three new crew chiefs and three new full-time Major League Umpires. The three new crew chiefs are veteran Major League Umpires Jim Joyce (25 years), Ted Barrett (16 years) and Fieldin Culbreth (16 years).
Out are umpires Derryl Cousins, Ed Rapuano and Tim Tschida, who are retiring and/or are moving into supervisory roles. Promoted to full-time umpiring: Vic Carapazza, Manny Gonzalez and Alan Porter, who are 33, 33 and 35 years-old, respectively, and who worked their way up from the minors, like all of ’em do.
Congrats, farewell, and congrats, you guys. For better or worse, we’re all watching.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)