Feb 25, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
Johan Santana was originally scheduled to make his spring debut on March 2, but the Mets announced last week that it will be pushed back due to a conditioning issue related to his throwing. While he hasn’t returned to mound-work since, the Mets are pleased with the progress he has made in recent days.
According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, Mets manager Terry Collins said earlier today that Santana has looked stronger in recent sessions off flat ground.
“I told him already today: He looked better today than he did five days ago,” Collins said. “I think the long-toss program is making strides.”
The Mets said last week that Santana’s issue wasn’t structural, so it appears his shoulder is fine. Spring training is longer than usual this year because of the World Baseball Classic, so the hope is that he’ll have enough time to get ready for the season as long as he makes his debut by March 10 or 11.
Santana, who turns 34 next month, posted a 4.85 ERA and 111/39 K/BB ratio over 117 innings last season prior to being shut down. He’s owed $25.5 million this season while his contract includes a $5.5 million buyout on a $25 million option for 2014.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)