John Axford dominates … the Oscars

Feb 25, 2013, 6:39 AM EDT

I know. Whatever. But how a relief pitcher did in his Oscar pool is what’s passing for baseball news at the moment. Indeed, my entire Twitter feed, baseball newsmakers included, is nothing but Oscars going back to about 7 PM last night.

I imagine a lot of you cared about the Oscars too — or spent far more conspicuous effort claiming to not care about it — so consider this your post-Oscars movie thread. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves. I’ll give you a topic:

1. Innocent Bystander - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:08 AM

What are the Oscars? Does it have anything to do with Oscar Azocar?

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM

The only Oscars that I care about are Oscar the Grouch and Oscar Madison..

• Paul White - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM

It’s a baseball blog, so you also have to care about Oscar Gamble and his epic afro.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Oscar Madison was a sportswriter.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

proudly: And Oscar still can’t believe Felix caused him to miss a triple play!!! And do you remember who alerted him to it? Real sports commentator Heywood Hale Broun.

• kevinleaptrot - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Don’t forget Oscar Mayer, hot dogs and baseball go together like baseball and hotdogs.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

How true.

3. taktrevor - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I’d guess going 12 hours without a post means you were probably watching.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I was watching Ladies curling.

4. heyblueyoustink - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I love ladies curling! Especially the Swedish team. No Horsemeat there.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

“Agree or Disagree: James Gammon not winning Best Supporting Actor for his turn as Lou Brown in “Major League” was the biggest Oscar snub in history.”

I agree with this. Even Tom Cruise and Dan Akroyd got nominations in 1989 LOL.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Kenneth Branagh — Henry V {“Henry V”}
    Tom Cruise — Born on the Fourth of July {“Ron Kovic”}
    *Daniel Day Lewis — My Left Foot {“Christy Brown”}
    Morgan Freeman — Driving Miss Daisy {“Hoke Colburn”}
    Robin Williams — Dead Poets Society {“John Keating”}

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Danny Aiello — Do the Right Thing {“Sal”}
    Dan Aykroyd — Driving Miss Daisy {“Boolie Werthan”}
    Marlon Brando — A Dry White Season {“McKenzie”}
    Martin Landau — Crimes and Misdemeanors {“Judah Rosenthal”}
    *Denzel Washington — Glory {“Trip”}

6. ptfu - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM

James Gammon as Best Supporting Actor for playing Lou Brown in Major League? Gee, I don’t know…Let me get back to you, will ya, Craig? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

7. sdelmonte - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM

1. Only award I cared about was Best Animated Feature, and I think that Wreck It Ralph was better than Brave, but not by enough to be bummed. It’s Trout vs Cabrera only with bears and Pac Man.

2. Pondering the irony of the owner in Major League wanting to move the team to St. Pete. I can’t imagine that would have worked out well for her.

8. Stiller43 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Why would the oscars ever be relevant?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Because baseball is the best sport for making movies about.

9. hermie13 - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

14 out of 15…

so what about all the other categories? there are over 20. not hard to get 14 out of 15.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS