Feb 25, 2013, 6:39 AM EDT
Hi Oscars… I’m John Axford… And I just dominated you! 14 out of 15!
— John Axford (@JohnAxford) February 25, 2013
I know. Whatever. But how a relief pitcher did in his Oscar pool is what’s passing for baseball news at the moment. Indeed, my entire Twitter feed, baseball newsmakers included, is nothing but Oscars going back to about 7 PM last night.
I imagine a lot of you cared about the Oscars too — or spent far more conspicuous effort claiming to not care about it — so consider this your post-Oscars movie thread. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves. I’ll give you a topic:
Agree or Disagree: James Gammon not winning Best Supporting Actor for his turn as Lou Brown in “Major League” was the biggest Oscar snub in history.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)