Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week Justin Verlander made some headlines by saying he wanted to become baseball’s first $200 million pitcher and despite the comment coming within the context of a perfectly reasonable quote he apparently got some flak for it.
And so yesterday Verlander clarified things to Jason Beck of MLB.com:
Wouldn’t you like to be the first $200 million writer? When people ask me questions, you guys you know me, I’m honest and I talk about things. The question was posed to me: “Do you want to be the first $200 million pitcher?” Well, yeah. What kind of question is that? Of course I do. … I don’t want to be seen as the greedy guy that wants to get paid the best because, whatever. But, like I said, if the question’s posed to me, I’m honest.
If you read Verlander’s entire interview with Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports it’s pretty tough to get worked up about the $200 million part, but then again I’m guessing most people who got worked up didn’t read all or even any of the interview.
Very soon Verlander is going to be in line for a huge contract extension from the Tigers if he wants it, but I still think Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers is going to be the first $200 million pitcher.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)