Justin Verlander walks back his comment about wanting to be the first $200 million pitcher

Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Justin Verlander Getty Images

Last week Justin Verlander made some headlines by saying he wanted to become baseball’s first $200 million pitcher and despite the comment coming within the context of a perfectly reasonable quote he apparently got some flak for it.

And so yesterday Verlander clarified things to Jason Beck of MLB.com:

Wouldn’t you like to be the first $200 million writer? When people ask me questions, you guys you know me, I’m honest and I talk about things. The question was posed to me: “Do you want to be the first $200 million pitcher?” Well, yeah. What kind of question is that? Of course I do. … I don’t want to be seen as the greedy guy that wants to get paid the best because, whatever. But, like I said, if the question’s posed to me, I’m honest.

If you read Verlander’s entire interview with Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports it’s pretty tough to get worked up about the $200 million part, but then again I’m guessing most people who got worked up didn’t read all or even any of the interview.

Very soon Verlander is going to be in line for a huge contract extension from the Tigers if he wants it, but I still think Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers is going to be the first $200 million pitcher.

1. cackalackyank - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I guess he looked at his birth certificate and realized it wasn’t very likely.

2. historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Ahhh, the dance of love…and free agency.

BTW, if I was a Cards fan, I would whine about how the author likes to troll our fanbase. But, I’m a Tigers fan, so I’m going to acknowledge Aaron’s fan crush and simply say: We <3/troll you back.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I r confuzed!

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Last week, some Cards fans were complaining that Matthew posts things that troll/pick on them. Aaron has posted a few things about the Tigers now — but I’m not complaining b/c I’m so happy. This means the AL Champs are finally on the map! Go Tigers!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Ah gotcha. I think it was the line about author and trolling, and I was racking my brain trying to remember a post when Aaron ever trolled a fanbase. Then mentioning the Tiger’s and Aaron’s crush and I wanted to say how Aaron is a Twins fan.

Gotcha now though

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

OMG! AARON’S A TOTAL HOMER AND HE TROLLS TIGERS FANS ALL THE TIME AND IT’S PERSONAL AND SCREW YOU, GLEEMAN!!!!!!!!

Better?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Let. It. Go.
      The dipwad post (among many others)…opened Matthew up for precisely what he is getting now.
      I even received an email from an HBT writer who will remain un-named.
      Basically “explaining” things and semi-threatening a ban from HBT as a result of my repeated us of thte word “dipwad.” Fun stuff.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Whiny McWhinerson.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Jealousy McJealouson.
      That’s all I got.

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM

*gives noogies*

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM

he he he

I’m a stinker!

3. pappageorgio - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Verlander is a good guy. He’s ultra competative and….right now…..he’s the best pitcher in baseball.

It kills me when writers take what is basically a non-starter and turn it into something.

Would you like to be the first 200 million dollar player? ………Sure would…who wouldn’t.

I hear you just broke up with Kate Upton, would you like to date another cover model? ……Damn straight. As a matter of fact after working my way through the SI swimsuit issue, I’d like to cross over into the Victoria’s Secret catalog. I’d pretty much like my apartment to be a non-stop supermodel ass-parade.

Would you like a slice of chocolate cake? ……..yes, two slices. With ice cream.

Datsun or Porsche? ……Porsche

• cackalackyank - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Datsun? Wow, that’s a blast from the past.

4. hep3 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Whether you are the first, second, third or tenth $200 million pitcher, it has to be nice to be in the conversation. I don’t think your agent, banker or your wife will care how you fall in the pecking order.

• cackalackyank - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Yeah being the first $200 million pitcher is not going to get you a statue outside the ballpark, or your number retired.

5. fanofevilempire - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

remember, your banker, agent and your wife have a interest on how much you get.

6. meganfilipowski - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Reblogged this on a 1-2-3 inning and commented:
    I think that Clayton Kershaw and Justin Verlander are both deserving of the honor to be the first $200 million dollar pitcher. They’ve done amazing things as professional athletes both on and off the field. Their ability to shut down opposing batters is bringing fans into the stands. They both have also created themselves as household names for their teams. The Dodgers can now try to make a playoff run and the Tigers can now try to finally win the World Series Ring for Mike Illitch after losing to the Giants last year.

But read the interview. It’s worthwhile.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2698)