Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week Justin Verlander made some headlines by saying he wanted to become baseball’s first $200 million pitcher and despite the comment coming within the context of a perfectly reasonable quote he apparently got some flak for it.
And so yesterday Verlander clarified things to Jason Beck of MLB.com:
Wouldn’t you like to be the first $200 million writer? When people ask me questions, you guys you know me, I’m honest and I talk about things. The question was posed to me: “Do you want to be the first $200 million pitcher?” Well, yeah. What kind of question is that? Of course I do. … I don’t want to be seen as the greedy guy that wants to get paid the best because, whatever. But, like I said, if the question’s posed to me, I’m honest.
If you read Verlander’s entire interview with Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports it’s pretty tough to get worked up about the $200 million part, but then again I’m guessing most people who got worked up didn’t read all or even any of the interview.
Very soon Verlander is going to be in line for a huge contract extension from the Tigers if he wants it, but I still think Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers is going to be the first $200 million pitcher.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)