Feb 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Kyle McClellan, who was hoping to come back from shoulder surgery and win a spot on the Rangers as a fifth starter or long reliever, has been shut down with more shoulder problems.
Ron Matejko of ESPN Dallas reports that McClellan had to cut short Sunday’s bullpen session, but the right-hander seems optimistic that it’s a minor setback.
“You know pain and you know if it’s something structural, but this is just one of the muscles,” McClellan said. “I can put my finger right on it and feel it.”
When healthy McClellan posted a 3.69 ERA in 378 innings for the Cardinals, but his health being in question is why he was available to the Rangers on a minor-league deal.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)