Feb 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Kyle McClellan, who was hoping to come back from shoulder surgery and win a spot on the Rangers as a fifth starter or long reliever, has been shut down with more shoulder problems.
Ron Matejko of ESPN Dallas reports that McClellan had to cut short Sunday’s bullpen session, but the right-hander seems optimistic that it’s a minor setback.
“You know pain and you know if it’s something structural, but this is just one of the muscles,” McClellan said. “I can put my finger right on it and feel it.”
When healthy McClellan posted a 3.69 ERA in 378 innings for the Cardinals, but his health being in question is why he was available to the Rangers on a minor-league deal.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12