Feb 25, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Mark Hamburger, who was released by the Astros last week, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a “drug of abuse.”
Hamburger came up through the Twins’ farm system before being traded to the Rangers in mid-2008 for Eddie Guardado. He appeared in five games for the Rangers in 2011, but the right-handed reliever has bounced around since then and spent last season getting knocked around at Triple-A for three different teams.
A two-month suspension looming could make it tough for Hamburger to find a new organization at age 26.
Note: I’m going to let everyone make their own name-related jokes here, so don’t take my lack of an attempt as a sign I don’t recognize the endless possibilities.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)