Feb 25, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Mark Hamburger, who was released by the Astros last week, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a “drug of abuse.”
Hamburger came up through the Twins’ farm system before being traded to the Rangers in mid-2008 for Eddie Guardado. He appeared in five games for the Rangers in 2011, but the right-handed reliever has bounced around since then and spent last season getting knocked around at Triple-A for three different teams.
A two-month suspension looming could make it tough for Hamburger to find a new organization at age 26.
Note: I’m going to let everyone make their own name-related jokes here, so don’t take my lack of an attempt as a sign I don’t recognize the endless possibilities.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
The Daily News is gonna Daily News
Mar 3, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Against the Nationals, on the road.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A nice history lesson from Jack Moore at The Hardball Times.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Reds fans may wonder why anyone would WANT to be like Votto, but everyone who doesn’t listen to Marty Brennaman knows that Votto is a pretty swell guy to emulate.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:08 AM EST
Twitter does a pretty bad job of policing threats of violence against women. Curt Schilling does a much, much better job.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Gwynn will function as insurance with Jayson Werth and Nate McLouth each rehabbing from shoulder surgery.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:01 PM EST
Mueller died at the age of 26 last month while in captivity in Syria.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:58 PM EST
The Mets cut back on defensive shifts with Wheeler on the mound last season because of his concerns.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Some key players are making some encouraging strides on the health front.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
After facing a pitching machine during an intrasquad game today, Alex Rodriguez is ready for his first real-live game action since September of 2013.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
Seems a bit light as far as these things go.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
Trammell and Whitaker in Detroit? Carter and Hernandez with the Mets?
Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Lester joined the Cubs on a six-year, $155 million deal in December.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Don’t. Praise. The. Machine.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 PM EST
Hart is attempting to resurrect his career on a one-year deal as a part-timer in Pittsburgh.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Shocking, I know.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
GM says “they’re not going to play him for a little while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Howard Johnson is right!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit owes him $28 million per season through 2019.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:09 AM EST
It happened to Wynton Bernard anyway.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)