Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Mike Napoli‘s hip problems cost him about $30 million after the Red Sox reworked his contract, but the good news is that he won’t be significantly behind the other hitters in camp.
Manager John Farrell told reporters that Napoli is scheduled to make his spring training debut Friday and will play first base rather than designated hitter.
Napoli ran the bases over the weekend and reported no problems, and he’s been taking batting practice for a while now. He’ll obviously be watched closely throughout camp, but so far so good.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)