Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Mike Napoli‘s hip problems cost him about $30 million after the Red Sox reworked his contract, but the good news is that he won’t be significantly behind the other hitters in camp.
Manager John Farrell told reporters that Napoli is scheduled to make his spring training debut Friday and will play first base rather than designated hitter.
Napoli ran the bases over the weekend and reported no problems, and he’s been taking batting practice for a while now. He’ll obviously be watched closely throughout camp, but so far so good.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40