Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Mike Napoli‘s hip problems cost him about $30 million after the Red Sox reworked his contract, but the good news is that he won’t be significantly behind the other hitters in camp.
Manager John Farrell told reporters that Napoli is scheduled to make his spring training debut Friday and will play first base rather than designated hitter.
Napoli ran the bases over the weekend and reported no problems, and he’s been taking batting practice for a while now. He’ll obviously be watched closely throughout camp, but so far so good.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (272)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)