Pablo Sandoval makes weight, avoids benching

Feb 25, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT

Pablo Sandoval AP AP

This story about Pablo Sandoval’s struggle with his weight is not a repeat from two weeks ago, 2012, 2011, 2010 …

Late last week, Bochy told Sandoval he would bench him if the Panda didn’t tip the scales at a certain weight by Saturday’s Cactus League opener. “To his credit, he did,” Bochy said. “Although to be honest, I’m not sure how.”

My guess: some variation of the old reliable “one kid on another kid’s shoulders, both covered up by a trench coat” routine. Works every time.

I’m gonna be in Scottsdale to visit the Giants on Thursday. While I’m there I’ll give you my annual “Pablo Sandoval without his shirt on” report.

1. kevinleaptrot - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM

That last line made me throw up a little in my mouth.

2. unclemosesgreen - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My first read of the headline was “avoids beaching.”

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Wow Moses. Coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally)…I also read “beaching.”
      Funny stuff!

3. historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Meanwhile, Svelte Delmon Young enjoys a good laugh with his morning rice cake. How can you not just shake your head at a Panda too rookie to commodify his weight for a monetary incentive? Pffft! I get PAID to eat these, bro.

• tuberippin - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

If either of these two are eating rice cakes, they’re just reinforcing their weight problems.

4. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

The bench got off easy this time, didn’t it?

5. jibzek - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Now that he made weight do you think he made a mad dash for the Taco Bell drive through? Doritos Locos sponsored 3rd baseman?

6. joecool16280 - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Mock him all you want people, he’s coming back from a World Series MVP performance. Boom.

• southofheaven81 - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yeah really. 3 HRs in 1 game ain’t nothing to f*** with.

7. tuberippin - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I wonder how much his hamate bones weighed…

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5229)