Shorter version of Jeff Loria’s letter to fans: it’s everyone’s fault but mine

Feb 25, 2013, 8:36 AM EDT

Jeff Loria victory

In case you weren’t around yesterday Marlins owner Jeff Loria published a full page “Letter to our fans” in the Miami papers, purporting to explain the Marlins’ controversial and exceedingly unpopular moves since last year. The full text of it can be seen at our post on it yesterday.

I just got a chance to read it and noticed something. Despite saying “the buck stops with me” and “I take my share of the blame where it’s due,” he is pretty clear in his letter that the buck hasn’t gotten to him yet and that any blame to him is not due. Indeed, Loria believes that he is in no way to blame for the state of the Marlins and the fans’ unhappiness with the franchise.

Here is a list of the people Loria believes to be responsible for where things currently stand, in order as they are mentioned in the letter:

• Anyone who does not believe the trade with the Blue Jays was a good idea because it was “universally celebrated by baseball experts outside of Miami for its value.”
  • Every member of last year’s roster, all of which Loria says “underperformed as compared to their career numbers.”
  • “naysayers who are currently skeptical”
  • People who are “reporting negatively” and making “negative accusations” on the ballpark and its funding.
  • “Those who have attacked us.”
  • People who are “attacking the County’s method of financing” for the ballpark;
  • “columnists” who have “decried” the trade;
  • “We” meaning the team, for not communicating well with the fans. This is a superficial stab at responsibility, but the tone and placement of it is clearly that of a person who thinks they’re always right saying “I guess I’m not being clear, because you still don’t understand that I am right.” If Loria did want to take responsibility for the poor communication he would mention the fact that he has given no interviews and made no statements at all since last season ended and until this letter was published. He has also apparently forbidden team officials from talking to the media too. Yes, Jeff, “we” could do better with communication.
  • He would, however, like to remind us that he helped bring the 2003 World Series championship to Miami. I guess when the team plays poorly it’s on the roster, when they don’t it’s on him.

Give Loria this much credit: he’s honest. He does not believe he is in anyway responsible for what’s happened to this team, so he will not pretend to be responsible or sorry for it.  I suppose in some strange, awful world there is something noble to that. Problem is, no one besides him believes it, so I don’t think the letter is going to do a thing for him or the team.

1. chacochicken - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Fault lies squarely with the fans for not sufficiently showing up and monetarily supporting their team…and the Jews. How could you people do this to Jeff? He’s done so much for you and this is how you repay him? (sarcasm, all)

2. heyblueyoustink - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Hey Jeff, quit being a douche and pass the bong already.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM

he got his fancy pants stadium, wtf does he care.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Luria already screwed up the Expos and their fans. And then he had already screwed over the Marlins once by dismantling the team. So what do the genius Marlins fans do? Build him a stadium. Somebody please tell me again why I am supposed to be either surprised or feel bad for Marlins fans? Luria is what he is, he showed who he was and never tricked anyone with who he has always been, and yet they built him a stadium. Fool me once…shame on you. Fool me twice…shame on me. Fool me a third time……really?

• chacochicken - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I don’t think the fans wanted to build the stadium. Bob Dupuy and Loria essentially threatened the Miami City/County commissioners with a “the team will move!” The mayor was even recalled over the debacle. Short of simply murdering Jeff in his bed, I don’t know what else they could do except order the Marlins to move out of the state.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Please don’t write things like that – Gator is already tempted enough. He has his +2 Cloak of Invisibility ready and everything.

• chacochicken - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I do have a short sword-nine lives stealer with a couple of gems left in case the OG needs to borrow it.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Eh. My son went off to college – and will shortly be headed to law school, of all places, in his quest to become the next William Kunstler and Clarence Darrow combined – with strict orders that I am not permitted to touch his D&D or Warcraft stuff (I assume his interest in Warcraft was a precursor to his interest in law school). I have obeyed assiduously for four years now. But I have no idea where his Shirt of Invisibility+2 is – he knows how to feel around for it in the closet when he needs it without accidentally grabbing Renfield, our palmetto bug munching tokay gecko*, and getting his hand bitten (which then requires submerging his hand, with Renfield attached, in a pail of water until the purple polka dotted big guy lets go and we can return him to his critical work in the closet). Moreover, I still have no idea what he does with that huge bucket of dice. I mean, my Strat-O-Matic board only needed three.

But what of that.

I can’t add much to my bloviations of yesterday on the subject of Scrooge McLoria and the Dick of Invisibility Plus a Billion Give or Take Ten Million that he used to screw the polity of Macondo up the cloaca. I’ve been working for some time on a research project on Scrooge McLoria’s sordid career by way of writing an actual book on the history of the Feesh. No, not a serious book – but the research I mangle to the demands of my agenda will have been unpeckable.

*Tokay gecko, because you’re all so curious now: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/gallery/lizard-pictures/tokay-gecko-pictures/tokay-gecko-02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/gallery/lizard-pictures/tokay-gecko-pictures-1.asp&h=311&w=400&sz=69&tbnid=XUcihOqBISG1YM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=148&zoom=1&usg=__PS126mh72Z89wdMSTmIPvvARZz8=&docid=keOGDtHCdEGzbM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3YgrUfDWIO-_2QW_nYHoBw&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAQ&dur=1747

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Really? Ever watch a baseball game in a football stadium in the middle of either a 95 degree day or a thunderstorm? Great baseball conditions

• FrustratedDolFan - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Chris, logically your post makes sense but as a fan of this team I completely disagree. I am sure you know as fans we hardly control who the owner is and what they do. Though, we can control how we financially support the team in hopes he recognizes this fan base will never be fooled again. Sell, sell, sell is our only hope at this point!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Right, so you disagree with logic. Other than the fans of the Marlins, there is absolutely no reason at all for anyone to feel anything other than indifference toward this situation. As long as the guy isn’t doing anything against the bylaws of baseball, and as long as he was approved by the league owners, then why do I care what he chooses to do with his team. He spent a ton of cash last year, and they sucked. He knows that no matter what he does this year, they are no better than 4th in the NL Least. Why should he spend what he spent last year to suck when he can take less risk and spend a third of that, still suck, and make the same if not more money?

Baseball is still a business, right?

• FrustratedDolFan - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Chris being a true fan of any sports team can sometimes defy logic especially the Marlins who have been blown up multiple times because of the “business” side of the game. South Florida is a very transient and fickle market who traditionally only support the local teams if they are winning (see Dolphins & Hurricanes fall from grace). If, I or any true Marlins fan were to subscribe to your logic then there would be no hope for this franchise and we should all just accept Loria and this most recent purge. Like I said in another post I will continue to support this team from a far and not financially invest with this con man and that for me defines logic!

And yes baseball is a business but the consumer (fans) have the right to disagree since we ultimately are their target market.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The KC Royals haven’t been in the playoffs since 1985 and the Pirates haven’t been in the playoffs since 1992. Why are so many people weeping for the Marlins fans when they have won two World Series in the time since those other two teams have last made the playoffs?

It seems to me like Marlins fans are getting an “entitled” attitude that makes them think they should have a $100 million dollar payroll every year no matter how bad their team loses. The Royals payroll in 2010 was $75 million. In 2011 it was $38 million. Where was the outrage directed at David Glass??? Where was the “Woe is us” Royals fans postings on HBT? Why aren’t there daily articles ridiculing the ownership of the Royals, who haven’t made the playoffs in almost 3 decades??? What makes Marlins fans so special to get article after article written about their owner while owners of the Royals and Pirates are quietly left alone? Where are the articles ridiculing David Glass or Kevin McClatchy ???

• chacochicken - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Your commute must be easy what with the van full of straw men keeping you in the HOV lane…

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Yes, you’re probably right. I guess the difference between Loria and Glass/McClatchy is that while Luria has a World Series Championship on his Mantle, the other two have yet to even make the playoffs.

Thanks for setting me straight.

• FrustratedDolFan - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Chris you are more like my wife with every post you make where it appears you always need to have the last word. As a result this will be my last comment on the subject. A sense of “entitlement” as a Marlins fan could not be farther from the truth. This fan base has that has been duped by 3 different owners, held hostage by a terrible stadium deal and endure multiple salary purges throughout a short 20 year history. Yes, we have experience success and for that we are grateful but Loria (not Luria) has a history of ruining franchises…see Expos. He has fired 2 successful managers because they wouldn’t allow him to coach from the sidelines and he was the catalyst to several of those bad contracts against the wishes of his “baseball” people.

Owners have an expectation for fans to come to the park and spend money so why shouldn’t a fan expect a quality product in return. Chris only you would go to a restaurant and experience terrible service with bad food and continue to go back over and over again. Haters, we are not and as a Marlins fan I don’t feel the need to comment nor do I care about what other owners have done with their franchises. FYI this website is no different then the 3 major newspapers in SFL where he has been and continues to be blasted on a regular basis. So trust me this is not the only outlet worthy of criticism to Jeffrey Loria.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Poll after poll in the runup to the stadium construction disclosed that the citizens of Macondo were overwhelmingly opposed to the construction of the stadium using any kinds of public funds, hotel bed taxes included. Several lawsuits sought to force a referendum on the stadium and failed because the courts ruled that the decision was up to the county and city commissioners under the existing charters. When they voted to build the stadium a recall campaign began that resulted in the dumping of the mayor and a couple of county commissioners by the largest majorities in the history of local municipal elections.

When the shambling dipwit who currently owns the Dolfeens placed his open palm before the county commission a couple of months ago to refurbish Joeprodolsharklife Stadium (which will become something else when Sun Life’s naming rights agreement expires in a couple of years), there were immediate recall rumblings and the current mayor, who beat Mayor Alvarez mainly by attacking him for supporting the construction of Macondo Banana Massacre Field, announced that any final decision would go to a popular vote. So, we’ll see whether we’re just a bunch of idiots, or a bunch of complete idiots, soon enough.

4. hansob - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

That picture is an accurate representation of Loria’s message to Marlins fans if he rotates his hand 180 degrees and puts his index finger down.

5. FrustratedDolFan - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

After reading Loria’s desperate diatribe to the fans yesterday it only solidified the need for him to sell. As a business owner, does he really think that this depleting fan base will ever support him. Just another sad day to be a Marlins fan…Redmond and this young team deserve more. I will continue to support this team emotionally from a far but I cannot bring it upon myself to support Loria financially at the stadium. Selig, please rid this sport of this con man so we can go back to supporting OUR Marlins…we all deserve better!

• chill1184 - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Loria, Wilpon, Nutting, Glass and Dolan wont be gone until the next commissioner takes over. Calling for Herr Selig to kick them out is a losing battle.

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM

My favorite ” The very same naysayers who are currently skeptical once attacked us for bringing Pudge Rodriguez to the Marlins in 2003.”

Yes….he was savaged for that signing, with comments like:

“In signing Ivan Rodriguez, the Marlins definitely made a major splash”

“We won’t know for nine months whether (the signing)…… will turn out to be a good thing for his new employers. But it’s hard to see how it can be a bad thing for the best catcher of his generation.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Seriously, wrapping himself in the fan’s support for Pudge is such an a-hole move. What a slime.

7. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

i don’t feel like a bad person for wishing harm upon this guy. he’s such a scumbag.

8. brianabbe - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Again, time to someone to wield his broad commissioner power of “best interests of the game” and force a sale. He did it to McCourt, and he has to do it here to salvage any hope for a fanbase.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Yeah but McCourt had to bankrupt them to get Selig to send someone to even look over his shoulder. As long as you can make payroll, Smug Bud is napping — and that’s just the way the owners want it.

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I think we’re going to have to wait for the end of the season for this to gain any traction. It’ll depend on a few things; probably gate, team record, press. If all of that comes up poor, Loria still gets his revenue sharing dough. THEN we’ll probably need some other owner told to get bent when he wants a new stadium on the public’s dough.

Depending on how all that plays out, Loria might be “encouraged” to sell. Not because he hasn’t a clue how to run a baseball team and is an avaricious pig but because he’s #1: costing them money, #2: Making MLB look bad, #3: making it harder for other owners to bilk tax dollars.

Even THEN, so long as he can pay his players, cover operating costs, and spin the bad press he’ll still be ok. All he’ll really have to do is make a token effort to add some gaudy FAs, perhaps make some trades, and hire a new manager who’ll replace the old manager who was clearly incompetent since he couldn’t shine shit. The League, and Miami, will be stuck with him for some time I suspect.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Which makes DD’s liberation of the Feesh both noble and necessary. ;)

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Is Mark Cuban a Warcraft fan? If so, what’s he got for liberating cities?

In all seriousness, if that team could be leveraged off of Loria, what I think that franchise needs is Mark Cuban or his philosophical clone. An owner who’s interested in a product’s performance as well as the products profitability. Then it needs a competitive budget, a proper GM, and a plan. But mostly what it needs is Not-Loria in charge.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I meant the Tigers’ GM, duh.

I’m gonna admit that because I have relatives in Texas and have heard rumblings from them, that I am a little wary of Cuban.

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Sorry, when you say “DD” I usually think only two things. Neither of those things is “Dave Dombrowski”. The first of those things (well its a pair of things, but whatever) doesn’t usually have that much to do with running a baseball team. And the second of those things was already alluded to with the Warcraft chatter previously. I felt pretty safe going with a Warcraft answer. . . but looking back on it all maybe I SHOULD have just said “b00bz”.

Cuban gets a lot of chatter round these parts as a “wish he owned X ball club”. He’s even chimed in on these very pages on the subject. I only know that he’s an involved owner of his sports team and seems to care that the product on the court is the best he could get. Who wouldn’t want that running a ball club?

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Hey, I’m a big supporter of the first meaning, but not so much the second.

I am not going to weigh in on the Cuban thing. I’ll let that dog lie.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM

sorry, cur, but none of the 3 reason you mention above are grounds for forcing an owner to sell. Or even “encouraging” them to sell. They all bilk tax dollars. They all make MLB look bad. And no matter what Loria does, he could never cost them money. Shit, for all the things McCourt did he never came close to costing them money.

Loria is simply playing by the rules and he is being unjustly singled out here and in the national media. I’ll ask again…where’s the outrage towards David Glass and Kevin McClatchy?????

• chill1184 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

McCourt and Selig never got along with each other so Selig was all too happy to kick out McCourt when the opportunity came up. Wilpon, Loria, Glass, Dolan and Nutting all good cronies of Selig. Selig won’t bite the hands who feed him

9. jolink653 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I’m sure he failed to mention that the Marlins will have no shot at signing any big free agent now because they won’t sign with a team that will ship them out after one season…Let’s call it what it is: he conned the city of Miami into thinking he was building a winner so they would fund the building of the new stadium and once they did, he shipped those players out first chance he got so he could save money…This is the same idiot who whines about the competitive imbalance and the need for a luxury tax, but instead of pouring that money into his team, he sticks it in his pocket and gives the middle finger to the fans…If I were a Marlins fans, I would have turned my fan memorabilia in after he gutted that 2003 roster and refused to spend a single dime on anything that could potentially lead to money winding up in his pocket

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I think that claiming Scrooge McLoria “conned” the county (more than the city) of Macondo is both misunderstanding and underestimating the intricacy as well as the pervasiveness of the the corruption by which this burg runs. It also doesn’t properly credit our city and county commissions with the abyssal stupidity and metastatic incompetence with which they have been blessed. Some of the research I’ve been doing necessarily focuses on how the distinctive form of tropical corruption stirred into the great melting pot of Macondo civilization by the first couple of generations of political hacks from a large unnamed island about a hundred miles south of here blended with the established forms of good ole boy downhome American cracker corruption that was already established here, yielding the uniquely Macondoan form of idiocy-fueled corruption that we have now.

Yes, I have developed a theory about that, drawing upon the pioneering work of Hume, Marx, Althusser and Irwin Corey. But I have to subject it to the Barbara Tuchman “March of Folly” test first – so you might have to wait a few more months to see the results.

10. tfbuckfutter - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

“I take my share of the blame where it’s due,”

This part pissed me off.

The sonofabitch basically stole my go-to apology when my wife is mad at me….”I’m sorry for whatever it is you think I should be sorry for.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Does that really work for you?

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Not once.

11. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Anyone else ever see a Chris Fiorentino post and just give it a thumbs-down without even reading it?

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I do that every single time.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

No, but when I want to give him a thumbs up, I get startled and then I pinch myself and check my driver’s license to make sure I’m not in an alternate reality or something first.

12. raysfan1 - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Craig, he also blamed the fans for not showing up in sufficient numbers even though (a) the team wasn’t good and (b) it was the third highest annual attendance in team history.

13. jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Keep it real Loria, idiots will hate you but the health of the franchise is most important

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Loria does keep it real – really dishonest, really corrupt, really selfish, really greedy, really sanctimonious, really full of shit.

And I suppose “keeping the franchise healthy” includes having four or five fans lined up on the opening day of ticket sales? Is that anything like “starve a cold”?

What did Scrooge McLoria do to you – spin the Hanster’s accursed .342 amulet before your eyes and recite, over and over again, “you are feeling gullible….you are feeling gullible….you are feeling gullible….”

• jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

LOL. Gator, your hating is amusing and childish at best

Keeping the franchise healthy involves getting rid of players who didn’t come remotely close to living up to their contracts. But hey, it’s clear Mr. Loria accidentally kicked your dog and you will stop at nothing to bad mouth the man. Whatever. To each his own. But I still think you are being ridiculous

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

jimmy, it’s no sense trying to say anything positive about Luria on HBT. This website is 95% festered with people who hate everything to do with any owners who don’t spend all their money on players. These people hate owners who treat the team like what it is…a business. To be fair, they also hate players who treat it like a business too so they are equal opportunity haters here.

To me, there is NO DIFFERENCE between what Luria did and what the Astros are doing and yet Luria is lambasted on this website while everyone seems to love the way the Astros are building for the future. The Marlins have had 5 times the success of teams like the Royals and Pirates, yet we don’t see daily ripping of owners like Glass and McCarthy like we do of Luria. It’s a ludicrous display of hypocrisy.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Problem is, the current Astros ownership didn’t blow up a championship-caliber team after promising not to, then turn around and unload, time after time, their best players for prospects in what they cynically called a “market correction,” and then blow up their team again, while screwing over their community bigtime in the process by bribing and conniving with a corrupt city and county commission to rip off their development funds, buy financing that would have embarrassed Shylock himself, and then gloat publicly about how clueless were the politicians with whom they transacted said rape as if blissfully unaware that it was the community they robbed and not these political lampreys themselves. The current owners of the Astros just took possession of the team in a pretty bad state from its former owners. They deserve some slack. Scrooge McLoria has had ten years to establish his track record of penury and lying. There’s nothing hypocritical about the difference in commentary upon them.

Moreover, I haven’t heard much that was positive said about the Pirates or Royals’ ownerships either. They keep a lower profile because they’ve been in the same place, in the same shape, for many years. If and when they do something as grandly incompetent as the way Scrooge and the Chihuahua misspent their dollars and then implode again, they’ll attract the vocal contempt they earned.

Jimmy – that you actually think that destroying a fan base is distinct from keeping a team “healthy” in the bizarre sense that you seem to mean it, you’re even more deluded and gullible than I thought you were.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

OG, so basically what you are saying is that Loria is a victim of the success the team had when he got there. Because, when he got there, they won a championship that year. And he saw that the talent was old and fading so he cleaned house and brought in younger players, just like the Astros did. But the Astros weren’t coming off a World Series title, so their new owners get the benefit of the doubt? Doesn’t seem right to me.

Regarding the Pirates and Royals, my beef really is more the national media, particularly here at HBT.com, where you get all these articles on how terrible Jeff Loria is, while I am still trying to find the first article on here that rips either Glass or McCarthy for their horrendous ownership.

14. jimmymarlinsfan - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Gator, if we keep the team intact, we finish in what 4th? Yay! I’d rather start over. But hey, like I said. Loria clearly kicked your dog or something because you have way too much irrational hate for the man

Chris, I appreciate your enthusiasm but Luria owns the eagles, Loria owns the Marlins. I wouldn’t even use the Astros as an example. How is what the Red Sox did any different? Because they play in a park that reeks of urine and is always sold out by corporate types who can actually afford 15 bucks a beer? But you are spot on about the royals and pirates and I can tell you for that without any doubt being the my cousin plays for the bucs and I know about the half the guys on their team

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Not at all. We hold the core intact and add and subtract with smart trades a a few free agent signings with which Scrooge McLoria doesn’t interfere or force down anyone’s throat. So, we take two or three years to be back in serious contention – how long do you think this patchwork charade of a team is going to take to be taken seriously? Five years? Seven? Forget it. The Iron Giant will be gone by then.

And anyway, this team is going to be looking up at fourth. With a telescope.

And no, he didn’t kick my dog. Unlike his Chihuahua, my dog would have torn off his leg at the hip if he had tried instead of humping it. He screwed over this entire community, and along with his cronies in the county and city commission, not to mention his little armada of lobbyists, he effectively stole a billion dollars that this town desperately needs for its schools and infrastructure – and that’s just counting the interest payments on the construction bonds, not even the bed tax money that this community made clear it did not want used to build the stadium. Now tell me, o thou so easily offended by the imaginary smell of urine – which you seem to sense everywhere, and which reminds me that the county’s biggest sewer main under Biscayne Bay is desperately in need of a half-billion dollar reconstruction – what’s “irrational” about detesting that?

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Oh, you know what, I apologize. I forgot for a moment that you don’t even live here.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3661)