Feb 25, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
This is not the most critical update on the planet, but I’ve seen enough of the “A-Rod’s World Series ring is up for sale!” stories and posts today that don’t make the distinction — including our own post here at HBT over the weekend — that I figure it’s worth noting that the ring which is being auctioned off is a replica, not Alex Rodriguez‘s actual ring, and one which was never owned by him.
As Wallace Matthews reports, A-Rod made — and presumably paid for — “numerous’ replicas of his World Series ring for family and friends, this being one of them. Many outlets didn’t realize that from the initial Daily News report, which itself did not note the replica status. Some even went a step further and said that “A-Rod was selling his “only” World Series ring,” assuming it was his rather than merely leaving the matter vague or unexamined.
It’s probably easy for some folks to think the worst of Not-True Yankee Alex Rodriguez and to assume he cares so little about winning that he’d auction of his World Series ring, but that’s simply not what’s happening here.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)