Feb 25, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
This is not the most critical update on the planet, but I’ve seen enough of the “A-Rod’s World Series ring is up for sale!” stories and posts today that don’t make the distinction — including our own post here at HBT over the weekend — that I figure it’s worth noting that the ring which is being auctioned off is a replica, not Alex Rodriguez‘s actual ring, and one which was never owned by him.
As Wallace Matthews reports, A-Rod made — and presumably paid for — “numerous’ replicas of his World Series ring for family and friends, this being one of them. Many outlets didn’t realize that from the initial Daily News report, which itself did not note the replica status. Some even went a step further and said that “A-Rod was selling his “only” World Series ring,” assuming it was his rather than merely leaving the matter vague or unexamined.
It’s probably easy for some folks to think the worst of Not-True Yankee Alex Rodriguez and to assume he cares so little about winning that he’d auction of his World Series ring, but that’s simply not what’s happening here.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)