Feb 25, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
This is not the most critical update on the planet, but I’ve seen enough of the “A-Rod’s World Series ring is up for sale!” stories and posts today that don’t make the distinction — including our own post here at HBT over the weekend – that I figure it’s worth noting that the ring which is being auctioned off is a replica, not Alex Rodriguez‘s actual ring, and one which was never owned by him.
As Wallace Matthews reports, A-Rod made — and presumably paid for — “numerous’ replicas of his World Series ring for family and friends, this being one of them. Many outlets didn’t realize that from the initial Daily News report, which itself did not note the replica status. Some even went a step further and said that “A-Rod was selling his “only” World Series ring,” assuming it was his rather than merely leaving the matter vague or unexamined.
It’s probably easy for some folks to think the worst of Not-True Yankee Alex Rodriguez and to assume he cares so little about winning that he’d auction of his World Series ring, but that’s simply not what’s happening here.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17