Feb 25, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
This is not the most critical update on the planet, but I’ve seen enough of the “A-Rod’s World Series ring is up for sale!” stories and posts today that don’t make the distinction — including our own post here at HBT over the weekend — that I figure it’s worth noting that the ring which is being auctioned off is a replica, not Alex Rodriguez‘s actual ring, and one which was never owned by him.
As Wallace Matthews reports, A-Rod made — and presumably paid for — “numerous’ replicas of his World Series ring for family and friends, this being one of them. Many outlets didn’t realize that from the initial Daily News report, which itself did not note the replica status. Some even went a step further and said that “A-Rod was selling his “only” World Series ring,” assuming it was his rather than merely leaving the matter vague or unexamined.
It’s probably easy for some folks to think the worst of Not-True Yankee Alex Rodriguez and to assume he cares so little about winning that he’d auction of his World Series ring, but that’s simply not what’s happening here.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (340)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (151)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)