Feb 25, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
If not for the contract Wells would have been released a long time ago and may have had trouble simply remaining in the big leagues after hitting .222 with a .667 OPS in two seasons for the Angels.
So considering he’ll be 36 years old once the contract is up Wells may not really have much of a choice in the matter. He’ll also have earned more than $150 million by then, so calling it quits to spend time with his family is a nice plan either way.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)