Feb 25, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
“We’re still waiting to see what happens with ‘Garz,’ how he comes along,” Samardzija said. “They know where I stand on it and how I feel. But it’s nice to have a few guys that are capable of doing it. Hopefully, it gets decided out on the field instead of in the training room.
It’s a baseball game. What starting pitcher who makes a 25-man roster is not “capable” of doing that? I realize being named the Opening Day starter is often an honor, but I sure hope we’re not allowing our fetishization of that to creep beyond the narrow topic of Jack Morris’ Hall of Fame credentials.
It’s one game, often a weird one, played in cold weather, after a bunch of festivities which often delay the start time and in front of a sellout crowd regardless of the team’s quality or the game’s actual strategic import.
Indeed, it would probably make sense to put your cannon fodder out on Opening Day. He’s not gonna hurt the gate at least.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 32
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 25
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 35
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)