Feb 25, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
“We’re still waiting to see what happens with ‘Garz,’ how he comes along,” Samardzija said. “They know where I stand on it and how I feel. But it’s nice to have a few guys that are capable of doing it. Hopefully, it gets decided out on the field instead of in the training room.
It’s a baseball game. What starting pitcher who makes a 25-man roster is not “capable” of doing that? I realize being named the Opening Day starter is often an honor, but I sure hope we’re not allowing our fetishization of that to creep beyond the narrow topic of Jack Morris’ Hall of Fame credentials.
It’s one game, often a weird one, played in cold weather, after a bunch of festivities which often delay the start time and in front of a sellout crowd regardless of the team’s quality or the game’s actual strategic import.
Indeed, it would probably make sense to put your cannon fodder out on Opening Day. He’s not gonna hurt the gate at least.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)