Bobby Valentine: “I thought I did a hell of a job in Boston … Connie Mack wasn’t going to win with that team”

Feb 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox general manager Cherington introduces Valentine as the new Boston Red Sox manager at Fenway Park in Boston Reuters

Sacred Heart University held a press conference today introducing Bobby Valentine as its new athletic director, Jerry Spar of WEEI.com was there to witness it, and not surprisingly Valentine said a few things that I’m sure Red Sox fans will love.

Asked about the 93-loss, drama-filled season with the Red Sox that got him fired, Valentine replied:

I thought I did a hell of a job in Boston. I thought what had to be done there was done except for winning a pennant. But Connie Mack wasn’t going to win with that team. It’s six months of a 62-year life. It’s six months of a 42-year career in baseball. It’s a blip, a little spot on the radar, as far as I’m concerned.

I mean, what do you even say to that?

Asked if his getting the Sacred Heart University job was a “joke,” Valentine replied:

If it’s a joke, it’s an inside joke. I’m very serious about everything I do in my life. I deal with passion and commitment and I deal with excellence.

I sort of want to go back to high school, just so I can use “I deal with passion and commitment and I deal with excellence” as my yearbook quote.

1. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Bobby does seem to take things seriously. Even the Stamford safety commissioner thing. There’s video of him out early in the morning directing traffic along the highway in a blizzard.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

as a Yankee fan I agree he did a great job,I hope da saux keep up the good baseball.

2. stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I thought it was a wonderful reply.
    You tell him you appreciate his honesty.

• andrewproughcfe - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM

“But Connie Mack wasn’t going to win with that team.”

Hard to disagree with that. Joel Hanrahan to the rescue.

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Indeed, what with his .486 career winning percentage and all.

• andrewproughcfe - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

@paperlions – “Indeed, what with his .486 career winning percentage and all.”

— .486 with the Pirates is like a .750 winning percentage with a decent team.

3. uyf1950 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Well there is a saying, if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Valentine was certainly NOT part of the solution. Then again many of the players were NOT part of the solution either.

4. cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

faceplam

Sweet Jesus Montero. Its like he’s never been to this rodeo before. BV’s mouth is BV’s worst enemy. He should just plug a giant cork in it. He’d have just been ok if he just stuck the word “injured” in there between “that” and “team”. Now it looks like he’s saying the players were useless. He gonna have to walk this one back, too sigh. I get exhausted with all this Bobby Valentine Walking Back.

Frankly, I think the Sox’s worst problems had little to do with BV and a lot to do with injuries. All BV did was make it all seem worse with dumb stuff like this.

Oh well, get ready for another Shit-Storm from player/BoSox management reactions to this one.

• indaburg - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I think he’s going to need a higher dose.

• chacochicken - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM

That would make a terrible amusement park ride, the Bobby Valentine Back-Pedaling Experience.

• cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Do you think a patient-controlled anti-psychotic infusion pump configured for epidural infusion would be of any value? We can’t keep chasing him around with a blow gun and a selection of darts all the time and he’s gotta know by now that his mouth keeps gettin him in trouble. If he had some way of stopping it from ruining his life, he might be better off. If this works I’d be willing to try permanently wiring him for ECT: I’m thinking St. Bernard training collar turned up to “frizzle the hair”. But not self administered. I reserve the right to use my cellphone (iZap) to give him a little jolt every now and then. Just to keep him on his toes.

• indaburg - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

He knows it’s coming now. He may have even developed a tolerance.

I have a barely used dog shock training collar with a remote control. After testing it out on my hand, I didn’t have the heart to use it on my great pyr. That sucker hurt. I will gladly volunteer it for this cause. Why didn’t I think of this before? I think it’ll work perfectly.

• chacochicken - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I think the best thing we can do for humanity is get Bobby completely shit faced, get him ranting , and film the whole damn thing. The things he would say…That would be an OD for sure.

• cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Lets take the Chicken’s “get him shitfaced” as Plan B. Two of us has to hold him down and the other has to get the dog collar on him. I’m a wimpy liberal Canadian, so its up to you tough Americans get a grip on him. Careful how you go, though. The French tell me he can be dangerous on a bike (where he spends much of his day “back-pedalling”).

• gostlcards5 - Feb 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

The shock collar is a GREAT idea! Reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of “Cheers”, too — Cliff arranging a guy to shock him every time he said something obnoxious!

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I don’t think Valentine’s mouth is his biggest problem….I think it is his brain telling his mouth what to say that is the problem.

• cur68 - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM

That’s where the genius of our multi-step plan comes into its own. The drugs are to sedate his mouth and the ECT to settle his brain down. It should work and if it doesn’t we get the fun of zapping him a few.

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I understand…but the mouth works really well (at least, it doesn’t stay closed much)….you just have to figure out how to give it smart things to say.

• 18thstreet - Feb 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM

We all saw him on ESPN. We all know he’s an idiot. Does anyone truly believe he became smarter or less annoying when the microphones were turned off?

The blame lies with the Red Sox for hiring him and somehow believing he’d achieve a certain definition of success.

5. lazlosother - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I thought he did a helluva job too. Of course, I’m a Yankees fan.

Kidding aside, I hope Boston gets back on track. It just isn’t the same if Boston isn’t a real threat.

• greedleague - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

This just in there Sport, the Yankees aren’t a real threat either.

Signed,
      O’s, Rays, and Jays

6. kjericho43 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Go away, dude.

7. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Uhhhhh…..Connie Mack had a losing record as a manager, just sayin’. Maybe John McGraw was the one to bring up?

Anyway, heckuva job, Bobby

8. sabatimus - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Sacred Heart can have him.

9. officialgame - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

This guy is just very unlikable. Phony to the core.

• hep3 - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Valentine, is a protge of Tommy Lasorda. The apple doesn’t fall from the tree.

10. timothynoble41 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Thats ok BV,pat yourself on the back.

11. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

This guy is so full of himself.

12. atltoarizona - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

This guy is dumber than a rock. Does anyone else remember a few years ago when he called David Ortiz, “Jose Ortiz” during the home run derby?

13. digbysellers - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Jose Ortiz is the new Ron Mexico

14. Jonny 5 - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Misquote.

Hellish job, he meant hellish.

15. bluesnats - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Isn’t Connie Mack dead?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Well, he can’t compare himself to living managers, now, can he? :)

16. thebadguyswon - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

HBT has completely beaten the shit out of this story.

17. wmg8383 - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Tell you what, this makes me like Bobby V just a little bit more. Nothing he said there was a lie. It IS a tiny blip on the radar of his career.
    I applaud the decision to become the AD at Sacred Heart. Oh, so instead of having his auobiography ghost-written and cashing in, returning to the broadcast booth, or becoming a special assistant to an owner/GM/Selig, he takes a job where his skills working with athletes and GM/AD types will be put to great use? The humanity…

• thebadguyswon - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM

After watching BV for years when he managed the Mets, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that he couldn’t care less about the criticism he got and gets for that job. Sure, he made some poor choices there last year, but that was a no-win situation all the way around.

• 18thstreet - Feb 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

If anyone in MLB also believed that Bobby Valentine did a hell of a job in Boston, Bobby Valentine would not be the AD at Sacred Heart University now.

18. decimusprime - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

@everyonewhowantstoperformexperimentsonBV

Hilarious stuff guys! So far today’s best lol moment.

19. ralphross373 - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I realize I’m in the minority. I think Valentine is smart. I believe he knew the risk he took taking over a club where some players were a bit spoiled. He hoped his style would be correct but it was not. But he got a well-paying job and the Boston owners got someone to take the toughest year. I do think Boston made a great next pick with John Farrell who’s probably glad he didn’t follow a two time World Series winner in Francona. When all is said and done you have to tip the cap to Francona but also to Valentine for handling a bad situation the best he could in my opinion..

• kered42 - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Naw… he was doomed when he criticized Youuuuuuuuuk
      Moron is BV

20. weaselpuppy - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I always get confused with this guy…from a mental health diagnosis standpoint…

narcissist?
    borderline personality disorder?
    batshit crazy?
    delusional?
    dementia?

I’m sure there’s a PhD dissertation for some ambitious Clinical Psych student brave enough to look deeply into that roiling boil of comepletely out of balance, insufficent and likely mutated neurotransmitters sloshing around in that freakshows melon….

• aceshigh11 - Feb 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM

He’s not crazy.

It could be narcissism or BPD…or he could just be an asshole.

21. drewsylvania - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Loria should hire him.

• thinman61 - Feb 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I was just thinking Loria and Valentine would be a match made in heaven.

22. jmmsr1 - Feb 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Go away Bobbie V just go away

23. oldpaddy - Feb 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Bobby V is no Connie Mack.
    V the manager is on par with Tim Johnson.
    V the person reminds me of a politician; a liar and a problem.

24. tampajoey - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

As a Rays fan I thought watching Bobby V up in Boston was funny as hell. That dude is a clown.

25. pisano - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Bobby you’re too old for drugs, with that statement it proves you are a space cadet.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3385)