Bobby Valentine: “I thought I did a hell of a job in Boston … Connie Mack wasn’t going to win with that team”

Feb 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EST

Boston Red Sox general manager Cherington introduces Valentine as the new Boston Red Sox manager at Fenway Park in Boston Reuters

Sacred Heart University held a press conference today introducing Bobby Valentine as its new athletic director, Jerry Spar of WEEI.com was there to witness it, and not surprisingly Valentine said a few things that I’m sure Red Sox fans will love.

Asked about the 93-loss, drama-filled season with the Red Sox that got him fired, Valentine replied:

I thought I did a hell of a job in Boston. I thought what had to be done there was done except for winning a pennant. But Connie Mack wasn’t going to win with that team. It’s six months of a 62-year life. It’s six months of a 42-year career in baseball. It’s a blip, a little spot on the radar, as far as I’m concerned.

I mean, what do you even say to that?

Asked if his getting the Sacred Heart University job was a “joke,” Valentine replied:

If it’s a joke, it’s an inside joke. I’m very serious about everything I do in my life. I deal with passion and commitment and I deal with excellence.

I sort of want to go back to high school, just so I can use “I deal with passion and commitment and I deal with excellence” as my yearbook quote.

Latest Posts
  1. Mets don’t intend to talk extension with Daniel Murphy

Feb 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

Daniel Murphy AP AP

While Daniel Murphy would like to discuss a contract extension with the Mets, it looks like a foregone conclusion that he will test free agency after the 2015 season.

2. Nick Markakis apologizes for his comments regarding contract talks with the Orioles

Feb 26, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Nick Markakis AP AP

Braves outfielder Nick Markakis recently expressed frustration about how contract talks with the Orioles broke down over the winter.

3. Shane Victorino is ready to go back to switch-hitting

Feb 26, 2015, 8:40 PM EST

Shane Victorino Getty Getty Images

Victorino gave up hitting from the left side late in 2013, but he’s ready to give it another shot.

4. Matt Harvey tentatively scheduled to make spring debut on March 6

Feb 26, 2015, 7:15 PM EST

Matt Harvey AP AP

It will be Harvey’s first game action since he underwent Tommy John surgery 16 months ago.

5. Blue Jays sign Johan Santana

Feb 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EST

Johan Santana Getty Getty Images

Santana hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to injury.

6. Barry Zito on his one-year retirement: “You want to be back in that game so bad”

Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EST

Barry Zito Getty Images

“I think hanging it up is going to be harder for guys than they realize, after being out of it for a year.”

7. What’s driving the A-Rod media circus? The media, of course.

Feb 26, 2015, 2:06 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Shame on A-Rod for making the reporters obsess about him.

8. Ike Davis is still mad at the Mets for saying that he partied too hard

Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

ike davis getty Getty Images

It’s been two and a half years, but it still leaves a “dirty taste” in his mouth.

9. Wily Mo Pena is staying in Japan

Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

wily mo pena headshot ap AP

Pena once looked like a potential star for the Reds and Red Sox, but then washed out by age 26.

10. Max Scherzer has added a cutter to his arsenal

Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EST

Max Scherzer AP

He also (a) wants to emulate Greg Maddux; and (b) asked Sandy Koufax about his curveball.

11. The Phillies slowly enter the era of analytics

Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

phillies logo

Welcome to 2002, Ruben Amaro!

12. Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers

Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM EST

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Two weeks ago Francisco Rodriguez was said to be holding out for a two-year contract.

13. For the 100th time, the Yankees are not for sale

Feb 26, 2015, 9:37 AM EST

Yankees logo

Even if Mike Lupica thinks they will be soon.

1. J. Hamilton (4180)