Cardinals “took the Rockies’ temperature” about trading Troy Tulowitzki

Feb 26, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT

tulo-120418.standard[1]

There have been some rumors about the Cardinals being interested in Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, so in following up on that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch dropped an interesting tidbit into his live chat on the newspaper’s website today:

The Tulowitzki rumblings this morning are ripple effects from the winter meetings where the Cardinals, through the course of mapping the shortstop terrain for the coming season and winter, took the Colorado Rockies temperature regarding their franchise cornerstone. The dots are difficult not to connect. The Cardinals did it months ago.

Goold noted that Tulowitzki is owed a ton of money and the Rockies have a good shortstop prospect in Trevor Story, but it sounds like there isn’t a ton of fire behind the smoke. For now at least.

1. Ben - Feb 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I’m holding out for the insane Taveras/Profar swap.

(which kinda actually makes sense, if you think about what each team needs–if only real baseball were fantasy)

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

That would be a fantastic trade for the Cardinals….filling a need and getting value. If they threw in Rosenthal…that deal could get done….maybe.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Fine. We can throw in Kozma, Westbrook, Jackson…and…and…and…jeesh Man! That’s it.

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I’m all for it…maybe Matt Adams? He could be a league average or better 1B for someone today…no spot on the MLB roster for him though.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I keep forgetting about Matt Adams.
        A combination of things (no roster spot..he reminds me of a sack of potatoes).
        But dude can hit!

• spudchukar - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM

No, no, no, no, no on the Rosenthal inclusion. I am all for going after Tulowitski, I even fantasized about a deal that included Gonzales and Tulo for some of our prospects. Yes on Miller, Adams and even Martinez, but not Rosy. He is going to be an all-star by 2015.

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I am not suggest that as a deal I would like to see, I wouldn’t….just that the Rangers would need that kind of deal to move Profar. I like Rosenthal and Wacha, but the fan-love of these guys currently far outstrips their stuff and experience.

I hope the Cardinals don’t go after Tulo….he is signed for another 8 years, and is no bargain. Giving up any decent prospects and paying that full contract would be a horrible decision for a guy who is developing an injury history while still in his 20s.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Great idea Ben. I don’t know that they would need to throw in Resenthal.
      Profar is a stud. Taveras is a stud in the making. Win/Win.

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

They’d have to throw in something. I love me some Taveras, but a SS that is plus on offense and defense is a far more valuable commodity than a RF that profiles as plus on offense and average on defense.

• Ben - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

You might be underrating Taveras–he’s plus plus with the bat. The discussion has been a .300 hitter with 30+ HRs. That’s Andrew McCutchen and then a bit of power.

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I know he is….I mean his is plus for a RF bat, which has to be plus just to play. I hope to enjoy watching Oscar play RF/CF for the next 10+ years, but a talent at SS like that of Profar is more rare….and getting excellent fielding and hitting from SS is highly valuable. I still think Texas is more likely to move Andrus or Kinsler than Profar….mostly because Profar is the best player among the 3.

• cardinalcrazy - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM

This would be a good trade, especially now with so many questions about our SS. But then what do we do next year when we no longer have Beltran? One could argue it’s easier to replace an outfielder so I could still seeing the Cardinal’s making such a trade.

• danh35 - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Craig could go to RF and have Adams take over at 1B.

• cardinalcrazy - Feb 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Do we really feel that confident have a rookie SS and rookie first baseman in Adams starting? It’s not like Matt tore it up last year.

• vox vetus - Feb 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM

it may sound crazy, but i’d rather do andrus for taveras+.
      more cost control, and i trust profar’s future.

2. bsbiz - Feb 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Derp… Joke about rectal thermometer here. Derp…

• joecool16280 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Is that your attempt at humor?

Dumb.

• bsbiz - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM

That was called “Pre-emptive Derping” to prevent further dumb jokes.

• paperlions - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Except, of course, no one was going to make that joke.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Ummm…..

3. thebadguyswon - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM

They’d be foolish not to trade him once he shows he’s healthy. Too much money for a player that’s constantly hurt.

4. number42is1 - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM

That’s so funny. Jeff Loria said he was just “taking Miami’s temperature” when he fuc*ed them in the ass this offseason

5. carbydrash - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Why not? Right? The Cardinals have an extremely deep minor league system…most everywhere except for the middle infield. The Cardinals need middle infielders, the Rockie’s need young talent to rebuild with (not that Tulo is some crusty old man or anything)

So likes a wonderful match.

6. unlost1 - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

be easier to give up someone else for Andrus

7. personalspaceinvader - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Yes, Cardinals fans. It does make sense for your team. Something tells me that Tulowitzki is worth a lot more to the rockies than some prospects, though. Being that he’s the face of the franchise and the clubhouse leader.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Valid point space invader. I will counter that he has been a perpetually injured face of the franchise. But again…I hear what you are saying. The fact the Cardinals even tested the waters in spite of his chronic injuries says a lot about Tulowitzki.

• kyzslew77 - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Going way too far to call his injuries “chronic.” He’s never had repeat problems, and only really had three injuries, two of which were flukes. In 2008 he missed about 50 games because he hurt himself smashing a bat in the dugout (bet he won’t do that again). In 2010 he missed about 35 games because he got hit with a pitch on the wrong part of his wrist (he now wears a guard there, and HBP injuries are pretty much the definition of fluke injuries). In spite of those problems, from 2007-2011 he averaged a little under 140 GP per year. That’s pretty good.

Last year’s groin problem was awful, but he’d never had a problem like that before. If he tweaks it again this season and misses significant time again in 2013, we can start calling his “chronically injured.” Until then, he’s really a guy who’s been very unlucky twice (ok, unlucky once and stupid once) and then had one really bad injury.

As a Rockies fan, I have to say that I’m thrilled that no one in this comment thread, so far, has played the HE SUX OUTSIDE OF COORZ DON’T TRADE FOR HIM HE WOULD HIT .250 WITH NO DINGERZ AT BUSCH. So far.

8. missingdiz - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Reading Gould’s “tidbit” left me feeling as I usually do when I read about a middle reliever’s contract: “Hey, I’m fat, old, and don’t throw very hard—where’s my million?” Today I’m wondering where to find somebody to pay me to write like Gould. This morning’s “rumblings” actually were “ripple effects” (try Beano, works for me) from the Cardinals, who were mapping the “shortstop terrain” when they stopped to take the Rockies’ temperature and found they could, without difficulty, connect dots.

9. timpaz - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM

If the Rockies can get some prospects and a good pitcher for him, trade him he’s not going to help you win anything, injury pronged and a BAD guy in clubhouse.

10. hustleandflomax - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

missingdiz; Gould is a very knowledgeable, excellent source for baseball news here in St. Louis. It’s a bit unfair to judge one’s body of work by one friggin snippet.

• missingdiz - Feb 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM

All I judged was the snippet. Sounds like metaphorosis, but one shouldn’t jump to conclusions.

11. kelshannon19 - Feb 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Matt Adams has mammo power. Does anybody remember the bomb he hit in Houston to dead center field over the hill? I can count on one hand how many people have achieved that feat in the 13 year history of Enron Field/Minute Maid Park.

12. historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Don’t trade! Don’t trade!

13. westcoastredbird - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM

People stop the madness! Alex Mejia drafted in the 4th round last year was the Pac 12 player of the year for Arizona State. The team that won the CWS. Dude is 6’1 and 200# and can it for power. He tore his ACL last year in A ball but in 2 years will be the Cardinals shortstop for the next 10 years. We don’t need to trade any young pitchers or trade for a Ranger SS.

14. ghostofjimlindeman - Feb 27, 2013 at 5:15 AM

Freese is 30 and Craig is 29, Tulow is 28, def a win now trade for Cards and they could with his bat at SS. Still Tavarez is 20 and we have a ton of nice young arms ready for their chance. Kinda torn on this one, it’s interesting to say the least.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4937)