Feb 26, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Former big leaguer Delino DeShields (and his wife) must have some pretty amazing genes.
His son, Delino DeShields Jr., is a 20-year-old second baseman in the Astros’ farm system who was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft and ranks among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects after stealing 101 bases last season.
And now his daughter, Diamond DeShields, was just named the national women’s high school basketball player of the year. Delino Sr. is 6-foot-1 and Delino Jr. is 5-foot-9, but Diamond is a 6-foot-2 shooting guard headed to the University of North Carolina.
UPDATE: Even better, ESPN.com’s awesome basketball writer Kevin Pelton points out that Diamond DeShields played on the same AAU team as Ken Griffey Jr.’s daughter, Taryn Griffey, who’s one of the top players in the 2014 class.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)