Feb 26, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Former big leaguer Delino DeShields (and his wife) must have some pretty amazing genes.
His son, Delino DeShields Jr., is a 20-year-old second baseman in the Astros’ farm system who was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft and ranks among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects after stealing 101 bases last season.
And now his daughter, Diamond DeShields, was just named the national women’s high school basketball player of the year. Delino Sr. is 6-foot-1 and Delino Jr. is 5-foot-9, but Diamond is a 6-foot-2 shooting guard headed to the University of North Carolina.
UPDATE: Even better, ESPN.com’s awesome basketball writer Kevin Pelton points out that Diamond DeShields played on the same AAU team as Ken Griffey Jr.’s daughter, Taryn Griffey, who’s one of the top players in the 2014 class.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)