Feb 26, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Former big leaguer Delino DeShields (and his wife) must have some pretty amazing genes.
His son, Delino DeShields Jr., is a 20-year-old second baseman in the Astros’ farm system who was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft and ranks among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects after stealing 101 bases last season.
And now his daughter, Diamond DeShields, was just named the national women’s high school basketball player of the year. Delino Sr. is 6-foot-1 and Delino Jr. is 5-foot-9, but Diamond is a 6-foot-2 shooting guard headed to the University of North Carolina.
UPDATE: Even better, ESPN.com’s awesome basketball writer Kevin Pelton points out that Diamond DeShields played on the same AAU team as Ken Griffey Jr.’s daughter, Taryn Griffey, who’s one of the top players in the 2014 class.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)