Feb 26, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Former big leaguer Delino DeShields (and his wife) must have some pretty amazing genes.
His son, Delino DeShields Jr., is a 20-year-old second baseman in the Astros’ farm system who was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft and ranks among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects after stealing 101 bases last season.
And now his daughter, Diamond DeShields, was just named the national women’s high school basketball player of the year. Delino Sr. is 6-foot-1 and Delino Jr. is 5-foot-9, but Diamond is a 6-foot-2 shooting guard headed to the University of North Carolina.
UPDATE: Even better, ESPN.com’s awesome basketball writer Kevin Pelton points out that Diamond DeShields played on the same AAU team as Ken Griffey Jr.’s daughter, Taryn Griffey, who’s one of the top players in the 2014 class.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)