Feb 26, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Former big leaguer Delino DeShields (and his wife) must have some pretty amazing genes.
His son, Delino DeShields Jr., is a 20-year-old second baseman in the Astros’ farm system who was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft and ranks among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects after stealing 101 bases last season.
And now his daughter, Diamond DeShields, was just named the national women’s high school basketball player of the year. Delino Sr. is 6-foot-1 and Delino Jr. is 5-foot-9, but Diamond is a 6-foot-2 shooting guard headed to the University of North Carolina.
UPDATE: Even better, ESPN.com’s awesome basketball writer Kevin Pelton points out that Diamond DeShields played on the same AAU team as Ken Griffey Jr.’s daughter, Taryn Griffey, who’s one of the top players in the 2014 class.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)