Dontrelle Willis goes “back to the drawing board”

Feb 26, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Dontrelle Willis

Dontrelle Willis’ spring training debut for the Cubs lasted all of seven pitches yesterday, as the first outing of his comeback was cut short by shoulder soreness.

He exited the field with a trainer and seemed awfully upset in the dugout, but Willis later told reporters that the injury is relatively minor and won’t stop him from continuing his comeback.

He did, however, admit how frustrating the whole thing is, telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com:

I worked real hard to get back and finally get in a groove and this happens. I’ll overcome it. I’ve done it before. Just go back to the drawing board. … I’m just frustrated today. I really wanted to play and mix it up. It’s early so hopefully I have enough time to come back.

Willis was already a major long shot to make it back to the big leagues, because while he’s still just 31 years old he hasn’t posted an ERA below 5.00 since way back in 2006. Since then Willis has thrown 404 innings with a 5.65 ERA and nearly as many walks (243) as strikeouts (285).

1. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Love this guy’s…no, no, I can’t say the “g” word anymore. I love his spirit. And as we all know, it sure beats selling shoes.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I have always like him myself. Didn’t really pitch too badly for the Redlegs either (during his brief stint). Had terrible run support. I hope for the best with him. Would like to see him leave on his own terms.

2. dondada10 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Prediction: Willis ends up in Japan.

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Wherever he lands, I hope he succeeds. All relict Feesh fans know that there’s no 2003 championship without him. Vaya con Buddha.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Mis zapatos son planas.

3. ishwishfish - Feb 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Bring him back to the Marlins — I can watch him and Juan, and reminisce about the old days.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3958)