Feb 26, 2013, 6:23 AM EDT
Jose Canseco is still playing baseball. At least as long as someone pays him an appearance fee to show up. The latest someone: the Texas Winter League, where Canseco went 3-for-20 in six games in three days down in Harlingen, Texas over the weekend.
Adam Lawson of the Valley Morning Star spent a day in the dugout with Canseco and captured the essence of this Lion in Winter. It’s, predictably, not the prettiest sight.
But you know what? It’s at least real. What’s not real these days: Canseco’s once so-bad-it’s-good Twitter account. It used to quite clearly be Canseco writing things that were at turns funny, at turns sad. Now, much of the time, it is pretty clearly given over to writers who are either being paid to make Canseco a “character” or else they’re doing it for him pro bono. Which, frankly, is sadder than his old real stuff about wanting to play baseball again.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 3
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 5
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 20
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million