Feb 26, 2013, 6:23 AM EDT
Jose Canseco is still playing baseball. At least as long as someone pays him an appearance fee to show up. The latest someone: the Texas Winter League, where Canseco went 3-for-20 in six games in three days down in Harlingen, Texas over the weekend.
Adam Lawson of the Valley Morning Star spent a day in the dugout with Canseco and captured the essence of this Lion in Winter. It’s, predictably, not the prettiest sight.
But you know what? It’s at least real. What’s not real these days: Canseco’s once so-bad-it’s-good Twitter account. It used to quite clearly be Canseco writing things that were at turns funny, at turns sad. Now, much of the time, it is pretty clearly given over to writers who are either being paid to make Canseco a “character” or else they’re doing it for him pro bono. Which, frankly, is sadder than his old real stuff about wanting to play baseball again.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)