Kevin Youkilis’ season has finally begun

Feb 26, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT

It takes a while for some players to get into a groove. Kevin Youkilis is finally finding his usual groove:

It’s officially a “sore left oblique.” Not serious, obviously, but these things tend to cascade for players who suffer lots of minor ailments.

1. uyf1950 - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

They also tend to mushroom for people that want to make a mountain out of molehill.

2. cackalackyank - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Just another wait and see thing. In reality though, you have guys 35+ coming back from the off season and then playing a few innings and having a training program after what, a week in camp? Pretty sure most 35 year olds would have some sore obliques. With the WBC coming up, this years Spring schedule is like trying to get a 1978 Chevy Chevette to go from 0-60 like it was a new ZR-1.

3. pisano - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Good God, that didn’t take long, it looks like Nix is going to see alot of action.

• uyf1950 - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM

pisano, my friend how are you doing?

• pisano - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

uyf1950…Hello my friend, well I’m a little concerned already, you know me, I’m not near as levelheaded as you are. I just hope the Yankees don’t get off to a slow start and fall behind quickly. there’s going to be a lot more competition this year, I think even Boston is going to surprise a lot of people. Hopefully Youkilis will be fine in a few days, and this won’t be a start of a bunch of nagging injuries all year. I honestly feel the Granderson injury will be controlled in house. I feel they have enough horses to fill the gap until Granderson gets well. I’m hoping for a nice solid year, it ought to be fun. As you say, just my opinion.

• uyf1950 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

pisano, I’m actually pretty optimistic. As I’ve mentioned here before I think Ichiro will be a breath of fresh air in RF. He will make things happen with his speed and defense. I like that Gardner will be available for the entire season. Andy baring another freak injury should be around for the entire season. I guess what I’m saying is I see the glass as more then half full. I hope the Yankees give one of the young kids a short short term in the outfield to replace Granderson. Some like Almonte or one of the other kids rather than Diaz or Rivera.
        Personally I think its a 3 horse race in the AL East. The Yankees, Jays and Rays. I don’t see the Red Sox as having improved as much as some other think and I definitely don’t think the Orioles will be a factor. No way the O’s go 29-9 in one runs games this year OR 16-2 in extra inning games like they did last year.
        But we will see that’s why they make them play the games.

4. chacochicken - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM

What is worse…Youk with a beard or without?

5. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Face down. That’s the way to take an inaction photo of Youkilis.

6. pisano - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

uyf1950… I agree with giving Almonte a shot, last spring I was seeing some magic there, I think this could be the chance he’s been waiting for, hopefully he tears it up this spring.

7. hep3 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Yeah, I think that is the same Youk who punked Ellsbury for being soft when he collided with Adrian Beltre and broke a rib. Of course the Boston media jumped on Ellsbury, too, because it took a couple of MRIs to catch that the rib was broken.

Youk’s injury karma has taken a hit ever since.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Can this article be added to your “Yankees doom watch”? Craig, I have to hand it to you on this one…you have actually succeeded in trolling YOURSELF by writing a blog entry that insinuates a portion of Yankees doom, which you invented about other reporters who were talking about the Yankee’s impending doom.

1. H. Pence (2153)