Feb 26, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
According to Rojas he has “a verbal agreement” to sign with the EDA Rhinos of the Chinese Professional League, but the deal will only become official if Ramirez is unable to land an MLB job before March 7.
And since that’s not going to happen, it’s basically official. Rojas notes that top players in the CPL typically earn around $12,000 per month, so Ramirez obviously isn’t doing it for the money considering he’s made more than $200 million.
At age 40 he wants to keep playing and Ramirez hit well in the Dominican winter league, but no MLB teams would give him an opportunity.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12