Feb 26, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
According to Rojas he has “a verbal agreement” to sign with the EDA Rhinos of the Chinese Professional League, but the deal will only become official if Ramirez is unable to land an MLB job before March 7.
And since that’s not going to happen, it’s basically official. Rojas notes that top players in the CPL typically earn around $12,000 per month, so Ramirez obviously isn’t doing it for the money considering he’s made more than $200 million.
At age 40 he wants to keep playing and Ramirez hit well in the Dominican winter league, but no MLB teams would give him an opportunity.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 19
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 7
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 41
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)