Feb 26, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Gyorko slugged a pinch-hit solo home run on Tuesday afternoon in the Friars’ 7-5 defeat of the Reds and now has three homers and nine total RBI through just four Cactus League games. Fosythe, meanwhile, is 0-for-6 with no walks and a strikeout.
Gyorko has played primarily at third base over the course of his minor league career, but the Padres love his bat and believe he is athletic enough to handle second. Chase Headley obviously deserves to have the hot corner all to himself in San Diego.
Gyorko, 24, hit .311/.373/.547 with 30 home runs and 100 RBI in 126 games last season between Double-A and Triple-A. Forsythe, 26, batted .273/.343/.390 with six home runs and 26 RBI over 91 games in the majors.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)