Feb 26, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
Gyorko slugged a pinch-hit solo home run on Tuesday afternoon in the Friars’ 7-5 defeat of the Reds and now has three homers and nine total RBI through just four Cactus League games. Fosythe, meanwhile, is 0-for-6 with no walks and a strikeout.
Gyorko has played primarily at third base over the course of his minor league career, but the Padres love his bat and believe he is athletic enough to handle second. Chase Headley obviously deserves to have the hot corner all to himself in San Diego.
Gyorko, 24, hit .311/.373/.547 with 30 home runs and 100 RBI in 126 games last season between Double-A and Triple-A. Forsythe, 26, batted .273/.343/.390 with six home runs and 26 RBI over 91 games in the majors.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 7
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)