Pettitte throws a no-hitter

Feb 26, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT

andy pettitte getty Getty Images

Josh, that is:

Pettitte’s son Josh, a senior pitcher at Deer Park (Texas) High School, threw a no-hitter on Friday night against perennial Lone Star State powerhouse Boerne Champion HS, striking out 10 and walking just one to fall ever-so-short of a perfect game.

Afterward, YES reports, Yankees pitchers such as CC Sabathia, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain offered their congratulations via Twitter.

Best part, though: click through to that article and look at the pic of the young Pettitte alongside the sons of Roger Clemens and Craig Biggio. It’s rather spooky just how much they look like their dads. And just how old it makes me feel for players of that generation to have kids that age.

1. jarathen - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Wait, Craig Biggio named his son “Cavan”?

• jwbiii - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Yeah, and he’s a pretty highly regarded HS prospect.

Also on this list are sons of Roger Clemens, Len Dykstra, Torii Hunter, Rafael Palmeiro, and a brother of Jason Heyward (unless there is more than one Heyward family in McDonough, GA).

2. jfwiii - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM

The most surprising thing to me about this story is that the major leaguer’s son is not playing FOR “Boerne Champion” high school.

Side note: I was disappointed when I looked up the pronunciation of “Boerne”—it’s “bur nee” and not “born.”

• juliath83 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Boerne. Just another Texas town that doesn’t sound anything like it’s spelled. Pflugerville and Mexia come to mind.

• jwbiii - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

When I lived in Austin, I lived right off Burnet Road. That’s BURN-it.

My family is from Gloucester, MA. That’s GLO-sta, so who am I to complain.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

When I moved to New England, people there would make fun of the Indian names for towns back home. My response was always: 1) pronounced just like it looks *cough* Worcester *cough* and 2) Pequot — for reals?

3. professormaddog31 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ugh. I feel so old. I can’t believe Craig Biggio’s old enough to have a kid that age. This makes me question my mortality.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

More like confirm it.

4. sleepyirv - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I want to congratulate Pettitte for being the only one to give his son a reasonable name.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

yeah but if he gets to the majors he will get a nickname
      like Jopet or Petjo or something like that.

5. kelshannon19 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

That’s Houston 5 A baseball right there. Nothin beats it!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4978)