Feb 26, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Remember this gem from a couple of years ago?
Gardy on Liriano: “We understand that he can strike people out, but if he really wants to become a pitcher, pitch to contact… #Twins
— Phil Mackey (@PMac21) April 13, 2011
Yeah, the Twins are out of that business now, it seems:
The phrase “pitch to contact” has been deleted from the Twins’ lexicon. It is gone forever … “I’m never saying it again,” Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson said. “I’ve taken enough crap for it.”
For his part, Anderson doesn’t think he was wrong to tell pitchers to pitch to contact. He simply thinks that everyone misunderstood him. Read the article to see if you buy his explanation.
In other news, Crash Davis is off someplace crying a little bit for the death of democracy.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)