Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Didn’t you hate it when you played little league and the coach’s kid was given all that special treatment? If so, you’ll love the Bochy show in Giants spring training. Because Bruce Bochy treats his son, minor leaguer reliever Brett Bochy, like any other cannon-fodder arm that isn’t gonna make the big club. Andrew Baggarly reports:
It’s usually not considered a favor to bring a relief pitcher into a bases-loaded, one-out situation.
That’s what the Giants’ manager did Monday, calling on his son, Brett, in the eighth inning. The 25-year-old right-hander made a couple of nervous location mistakes in his first Cactus League appearance this spring while giving up a double and a home run to a pair of White Sox minor leaguers.
The Giants once led 9-0 but Seth Loman’s three-run home run tied the score, and the game ended in a 9-9 tie.
Buck up, Brett. Even if you gave up multiple extra base hits every time out for the rest of your career you still wouldn’t be the most miserable baseball legacy out there. Dale Berra set a pretty low bar. Or high bar, I guess, depending on what you’re talking about.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)