Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Didn’t you hate it when you played little league and the coach’s kid was given all that special treatment? If so, you’ll love the Bochy show in Giants spring training. Because Bruce Bochy treats his son, minor leaguer reliever Brett Bochy, like any other cannon-fodder arm that isn’t gonna make the big club. Andrew Baggarly reports:
It’s usually not considered a favor to bring a relief pitcher into a bases-loaded, one-out situation.
That’s what the Giants’ manager did Monday, calling on his son, Brett, in the eighth inning. The 25-year-old right-hander made a couple of nervous location mistakes in his first Cactus League appearance this spring while giving up a double and a home run to a pair of White Sox minor leaguers.
The Giants once led 9-0 but Seth Loman’s three-run home run tied the score, and the game ended in a 9-9 tie.
Buck up, Brett. Even if you gave up multiple extra base hits every time out for the rest of your career you still wouldn’t be the most miserable baseball legacy out there. Dale Berra set a pretty low bar. Or high bar, I guess, depending on what you’re talking about.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)