Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Didn’t you hate it when you played little league and the coach’s kid was given all that special treatment? If so, you’ll love the Bochy show in Giants spring training. Because Bruce Bochy treats his son, minor leaguer reliever Brett Bochy, like any other cannon-fodder arm that isn’t gonna make the big club. Andrew Baggarly reports:
It’s usually not considered a favor to bring a relief pitcher into a bases-loaded, one-out situation.
That’s what the Giants’ manager did Monday, calling on his son, Brett, in the eighth inning. The 25-year-old right-hander made a couple of nervous location mistakes in his first Cactus League appearance this spring while giving up a double and a home run to a pair of White Sox minor leaguers.
The Giants once led 9-0 but Seth Loman’s three-run home run tied the score, and the game ended in a 9-9 tie.
Buck up, Brett. Even if you gave up multiple extra base hits every time out for the rest of your career you still wouldn’t be the most miserable baseball legacy out there. Dale Berra set a pretty low bar. Or high bar, I guess, depending on what you’re talking about.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 44
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)