Tough day for the Bochys

Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT

Brett Bochy

Didn’t you hate it when you played little league and the coach’s kid was given all that special treatment? If so, you’ll love the Bochy show in Giants spring training. Because Bruce Bochy treats his son, minor leaguer reliever Brett Bochy, like any other cannon-fodder arm that isn’t gonna make the big club. Andrew Baggarly reports:

It’s usually not considered a favor to bring a relief pitcher into a bases-loaded, one-out situation.

That’s what the Giants’ manager did Monday, calling on his son, Brett, in the eighth inning. The 25-year-old right-hander made a couple of nervous location mistakes in his first Cactus League appearance this spring while giving up a double and a home run to a pair of White Sox minor leaguers.

The Giants once led 9-0 but Seth Loman’s three-run home run tied the score, and the game ended in a 9-9 tie.

Buck up, Brett. Even if you gave up multiple extra base hits every time out for the rest of your career you still wouldn’t be the most miserable baseball legacy out there.  Dale Berra set a pretty low bar. Or high bar, I guess, depending on what you’re talking about.

1. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Feed me, Seymour!

• birdman6824 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I’m Hungry !

2. stlouis1baseball - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Good stuff! When my Father coached me I got the Bob Knight treatment. Man was he hard on me.
    There was no doubt I received no preferential treatment. In fact, he went overboard the other way. I don’t care of it was baseball, basketball, football or wrestling. I remember a football game in high school in which I played the game of my life. 15 tackles, a couple of interceptions, a forced fumble, two sacks. One sack I forced the fumble…recovered it and scored a touchdown going the other way. As a two way player who played Center on offense that returned fumble was the ONLY touchdown I ever scored in 15 years of football. What does my Dad say? “Yeah…you were having a decent game until you held the ball in the air while crossing the goal line.” “You don’t showboat.” “I better never see you do that again.” I didn’t realize it at the time…but he did me a huge favor. When I went to College (and then the Military)…those coaches and drill seargents didn’t have anything on Dad.

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Good for your dad! Nothing gets you ready for the world like tough love.

3. dlf9 - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Where oh where have Bump Wills and Marc Sullivan gone?

4. 49erscott - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Brett Bochys actually pretty good. He deserves to be there. I believe he’s had two tommy johns too.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5120)