Feb 27, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
It’s been a week since Daniel Murphy got a cortisone injection for his strained intercostal muscle, but manager Terry Collins said today that the Mets second baseman is still 7-10 days from getting into the lineup.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Murphy still hasn’t resumed swinging a bat yet, although so far at least there’s been no talk of the injury potentially sidelining him through Opening Day.
Murphy is slated to be the Mets’ everyday second baseman after hitting .291 with six homers and a .735 OPS in 156 games last season.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17