Heading to Arizona for some Cactus League action

Feb 27, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT

Sunrise Cactus

It’s gonna be a lot of radio silence from me today as, by the time you’re reading this, I will be on an airplane heading west. Yep, it’s that time of year again. I’m off to spring training for the fourth straight year. And for the third straight year I’m doing it up Cactus League-style.

Some folks have asked me why I keep going back to Arizona instead of down to Florida. There are two answers, really. The first and most direct one being logistics. All 15 of the Cactus League teams play in the Phoenix metro area, and life is way better when you can stay in one hotel and not burn so much time crisscrossing a state to get to the next park.

But the better reason is simply the vibe, man. Sure, if you’re a partisan of a specific team and only want to check them out during spring training you’re best served going where your team is. And, having been there, I can tell you that it’s all kind of fun going to Fort Myers for the Sox or Twins, Clearwater for the Phillies, Lakeland for the Tigers and on and on.  But if you just want to soak up any kind of spring training action, Arizona is the place to go. You can wake up each morning and say “hmm, which park do I want to hit today?” and make up your mind over your huevos rancheros. You can also simply rack up a larger number of places and teams seen. And if you find a cool bar, a cool restaurant or a cool greasy spoon, you can keep going back, time and time again, if that’s what you’re into.

I’m into that. And this year — while still leaving some room for that breakfast spontaneity – I’m going to do my best to hit every park. The tentative schedule is as follows:

• Today: Hohokam Park for the Cubs and Dodgers in Mesa, assuming no flight delays;
  • Thursday 2/28: Scottsdale for the Giants and Mariners;
  • Friday 3/1: Tempe Diablo for the Angels and Dodgers;
  • Saturday 3/2: Salt River Fields for the Rangers and Diamondbacks (grit warning);
  • Sunday 3/3: Camelback Ranch for the Dodgers and Indians;
  • Monday 3/4: Surprise for the Rangers and Padres;
  • Tuesday 3/5: Phoenix Municipal for the Athletics and … the Italian WBC team! Which should be fun;
  • Wednesday 3/6: Goodyear for the Indians and Dodgers;
  • Thursday 3/7: Maryvale for the Diamondbacks and Brewers;
  • Friday 3/8 Day: Probably Peoria for the A’s and Mariners; Night: Chase Field for the USA vs. Mexico WBC game.

Yes, that’s a lot of Dodgers, but I can’t really control who the visiting team is and, frankly, 85% of my time at a park is spent with the home team. And yes, I know I’m missing some teams — unless I change my mind I won’t be able to see if Jeff Francoeur is truly in the BSOHL or watch Shin-Soo Choo attempting to play center field — but those are the breaks. Like I said, this is all subject to change and, as has happened in years past, it may very well change. Except the pictures of equipment bags on the field. That never changes. Yes, I know I have a problem.

And by the way: if you’re in Arizona and find yourself at one of these places on one of these days, by all means, let me know and we can pull an impromptu HBT meetup. Probably the best way to track my movements and/or stalk me is to get my attention is on Twitter. You can follow me and reply to me here.  You can also send me an email by clicking the “Feedback” button on the upper right corner of the HBT main page. No love notes, though. Gleeman reads those emails too.

So that’s that. Next time I talk to you it’ll be on Mountain Standard Time, live from the Valley of the Sun.

Latest Posts
  1. Kyle Farnsworth, 38, takes over as Mets’ closer

Apr 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

kyle farnsworth getty Getty Images

Jose Valverde allowed three runs in an inning of work Saturday night against the Braves — the latest in a string of rough outings. So manager Terry Collins decided Sunday morning to make a change …

2. Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow

Apr 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT

ivan nova yankees getty Getty Images

Yankees starter Ivan Nova has been diagnosed with a partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow — an injury that almost always leads to Tommy John surgery.

3. Craig Kimbrel struggles in return from right shoulder issue, apologizes for reaction to being pulled

Apr 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

kimbrel getty Getty Images

Craig Kimbrel was called on Saturday for the first time since complaining of discomfort in his shoulder last Monday. The appearance did not go smoothly.

4. VIDEO: Albert Pujols slugs his 498th career home run

Apr 20, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT

albert pujols getty Getty Images

Watch as Angels first baseman Albert Pujols moved to within two home runs of the big 500-homer milestone on Saturday afternoon against Tigers closer Joe Nathan …

5. Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Apr 20, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT

mark buehrle getty Getty Images

Mark Buehrle pitched seven innings of shutout ball and Jose Reyes had an RBI single in his first game back from a hamstring strain as Toronto rolled to a 5-0 win over the Indians on Saturday afternoon in Cleveland. Buehrle yielded just four hits and is now 4-0 on the season with a 0.64 ERA in 28 innings.

6. Ike Davis solid in debut with Pirates

Apr 19, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT

Ike Davis Ike Davis

Ike Davis makes a good impression with his new team.

7. Evan Longoria becomes Rays franchise leader with 164th career home run

Apr 19, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

Evan Longoria climbs to the top of yet another Rays franchise leaderboard.

8. John Lannan accepts assignment to Triple-A Las Vegas

Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v New York Mets Cincinnati Reds v New York Mets

John Lannan will report to Triple-A Las Vegas after being outrighted on Wednesday by the Mets.

9. Chris Snyder retires, ending ten-year career

Apr 19, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT

Chris Snyder, Andres Torres Chris Snyder, Andres Torres

Veteran Chris Snyder hangs up the spikes, ending a ten-year stint in the big leagues.

10. Rangers place Jim Adduci on DL; promote top prospect Luis Sardinas

Apr 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Jim Adduci Jim Adduci

The Rangers lost Jim Adduci with a broken finger, but have called up one of their top prospects.

11. Gavin Floyd to make at least two more rehab starts

Apr 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Gavin Floyd Gavin Floyd

The Braves could get Gavin Floyd back in early May after he makes at least two more rehab starts.

12. Video: Camera guy falls following J.B. Shuck after he hit a lead-off homer

Apr 19, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

The camera guy made a faux pas during the first inning of Saturday’s Angels-Tigers game.

13. Dontrelle Willis considering becoming a pitching coach

Apr 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

With his playing career likely over, Dontrelle Willis is now considering becoming a pitching coach.

14. Mike Trout did something for the first time on Saturday

Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Mike Trout Mike Trout

Mike Trout attached his name to an ignominious feat on Saturday against the Tigers.

15. Manny Machado plays in first extended spring training game, nears official rehab stint

Apr 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Manny Machado AP AP

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado continues to make progress from knee surgery. He played five innings at third base and took four at-bats today in an extended spring training game.

16. Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling

Apr 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Bryce Harper Getty Getty Images

Nationals manager Matt Williams decided to pull Bryce Harper from today’s game after he didn’t hustle on a comebacker to the pitcher.

17. Pirates designate Travis Ishikawa for assignment to make room for Ike Davis

Apr 19, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT

Travis Ishikawa Getty Getty Images

Ike Davis will bat sixth in his Pirates debut this evening against the Brewers.

18. David Robertson declares himself “ready to go” after extended spring training game

Apr 19, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT

David Robertson AP

Yankees closer David Robertson is on track to be activated Tuesday.

19. Cole Hamels to join Phillies’ rotation next Wednesday

Apr 19, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT

Cole Hamels AP AP

Cole Hamels is on track to face the Dodgers next Wednesday in Los Angeles.

20. Reds activate reliever Sean Marshall from the disabled list

Apr 19, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

Sean Marshall Getty Getty Images

The Reds are hoping that Sean Marshall’s shoulder issues are behind him.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5493)