Heading to Arizona for some Cactus League action

Feb 27, 2013, 6:30 AM EST

Sunrise Cactus

It’s gonna be a lot of radio silence from me today as, by the time you’re reading this, I will be on an airplane heading west. Yep, it’s that time of year again. I’m off to spring training for the fourth straight year. And for the third straight year I’m doing it up Cactus League-style.

Some folks have asked me why I keep going back to Arizona instead of down to Florida. There are two answers, really. The first and most direct one being logistics. All 15 of the Cactus League teams play in the Phoenix metro area, and life is way better when you can stay in one hotel and not burn so much time crisscrossing a state to get to the next park.

But the better reason is simply the vibe, man. Sure, if you’re a partisan of a specific team and only want to check them out during spring training you’re best served going where your team is. And, having been there, I can tell you that it’s all kind of fun going to Fort Myers for the Sox or Twins, Clearwater for the Phillies, Lakeland for the Tigers and on and on.  But if you just want to soak up any kind of spring training action, Arizona is the place to go. You can wake up each morning and say “hmm, which park do I want to hit today?” and make up your mind over your huevos rancheros. You can also simply rack up a larger number of places and teams seen. And if you find a cool bar, a cool restaurant or a cool greasy spoon, you can keep going back, time and time again, if that’s what you’re into.

I’m into that. And this year — while still leaving some room for that breakfast spontaneity — I’m going to do my best to hit every park. The tentative schedule is as follows:

• Today: Hohokam Park for the Cubs and Dodgers in Mesa, assuming no flight delays;
  • Thursday 2/28: Scottsdale for the Giants and Mariners;
  • Friday 3/1: Tempe Diablo for the Angels and Dodgers;
  • Saturday 3/2: Salt River Fields for the Rangers and Diamondbacks (grit warning);
  • Sunday 3/3: Camelback Ranch for the Dodgers and Indians;
  • Monday 3/4: Surprise for the Rangers and Padres;
  • Tuesday 3/5: Phoenix Municipal for the Athletics and … the Italian WBC team! Which should be fun;
  • Wednesday 3/6: Goodyear for the Indians and Dodgers;
  • Thursday 3/7: Maryvale for the Diamondbacks and Brewers;
  • Friday 3/8 Day: Probably Peoria for the A’s and Mariners; Night: Chase Field for the USA vs. Mexico WBC game.

Yes, that’s a lot of Dodgers, but I can’t really control who the visiting team is and, frankly, 85% of my time at a park is spent with the home team. And yes, I know I’m missing some teams — unless I change my mind I won’t be able to see if Jeff Francoeur is truly in the BSOHL or watch Shin-Soo Choo attempting to play center field — but those are the breaks. Like I said, this is all subject to change and, as has happened in years past, it may very well change. Except the pictures of equipment bags on the field. That never changes. Yes, I know I have a problem.

And by the way: if you’re in Arizona and find yourself at one of these places on one of these days, by all means, let me know and we can pull an impromptu HBT meetup. Probably the best way to track my movements and/or stalk me is to get my attention is on Twitter. You can follow me and reply to me here.  You can also send me an email by clicking the “Feedback” button on the upper right corner of the HBT main page. No love notes, though. Gleeman reads those emails too.

So that’s that. Next time I talk to you it’ll be on Mountain Standard Time, live from the Valley of the Sun.

Latest Posts
  1. Phil Coke to settle on a team by tomorrow

Mar 5, 2015, 9:12 AM EST

phil coke getty Getty Images

Or, more accurately, a team is to settle for Phil Coke tomorrow.

2. It’s like the New York Post isn’t even trying anymore

Mar 5, 2015, 7:53 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP

I guess it’s spring training for tabloid headline writers too.

3. Angels, Huston Street expected to exchange offers soon

Mar 4, 2015, 11:59 PM EST

huston street getty Getty Images

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez has an update on the ongoing extension negotiations between Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and veteran closer Huston Street …

4. Ji-Man Choi suffered a fractured right fibula

Mar 4, 2015, 11:13 PM EST

ji-man choi getty Getty Images

The Mariners won their Cactus League opener Wednesday against the Padres, but it was not a totally problem-free afternoon in Peoria, Arizona.

5. Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene

Mar 4, 2015, 10:26 PM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Suspending Hamilton for a year would serve no purpose punitive systems are designed to serve. And would most likely not serve Josh Hamilton at all.

6. Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play

Mar 4, 2015, 9:52 PM EST

josh hamilton angels getty Getty Images

A four-person panel appointed by Major League Baseball to decide how Josh Hamilton should be handled following his recent relapse that involved at least cocaine has reportedly reached a stalemate.

7. Rays sign reliever Jim Miller to minor league deal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EST

jim miller getty Getty Images

The deal includes an invitation to the major league side of spring training, though Miller seems doubtful to win a spot on Tampa Bay’s Opening Day roster.

8. Tim Collins leaves spring debut with tight left elbow

Mar 4, 2015, 8:21 PM EST

tim collins getty Getty Images

Royals reliever Tim Collins missed time last season with a flexor strain in his left elbow and again had an issue with the joint Wednesday in his 2015 Cactus League debut …

9. Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut

Mar 4, 2015, 7:17 PM EST

joc pederson getty Getty Images

It was an enjoyable first day of Cactus League competition for Dodgers prospect Joc Pederson.

10. Masahiro Tanaka expected to make his 2015 Grapefruit League debut on March 12

Mar 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EST

tanaka getty Getty Images

He successfully rehabbed a torn UCL in his right elbow last season and the Yankees’ fingers remain crossed that the 26-year-old from Japan will be able to avoid Tommy John elbow reconstructive surgery.

11. Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments

Mar 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EST

Billy Bean

While it’s clear that the two do not see eye to eye, Billy Bean is choosing to look on the bright side of yesterday’s comments from Daniel Murphy.

12. Meanwhile, they’ll be serving churro dogs at Chase Field this year

Mar 4, 2015, 3:20 PM EST

diamondbacks logo alternate

What’s a churro dog, you ask? Click, my pretties. Click!

13. Athletes should be treated fairly by the press. Even if they’re not friendly to the press.

Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST

press hat

Athletes oftentimes, don’t see reporters as people. Reporters, oftentimes, don’t see athletes as people. Reporters, however have a duty of objectivity athletes don’t have.

14. A’s announce Coco Crisp is moving to left field

Mar 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

coco crisp getty Getty Images

The move leaves Craig Gentry and Sam Fuld to platoon in center field.

15. Phillies don’t expect Chad Billingsley to be ready for Opening Day

Mar 4, 2015, 11:20 AM EST

Los Angeles Dodgers v San Diego Padres Getty Images

Billingsley hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since way back in April of 2013.

16. Now that he’s released, who pays for Joel Hanrahan’s surgery?

Mar 4, 2015, 11:05 AM EST

Joel Hanrahan Getty Getty Images

Today’s news sucks for Joel Hanrahan, but it’s a good basis for an explainer.

1. M. Upton (2531)