Hello from Hohokam Park

Feb 27, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT

I landed in Phoenix just before 9:30 AM Mountain time, took the seemingly interminable bus ride to the rental car place and was met with an opportunity to see if NBC really appreciates me:

source:

I asked if I could take the upgrade. So far no one has responded. I assume they’re still thinking it over.

On to my hotel in Tempe to drop off my stuff and then grab some food at a little diner:

source:

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that, on doctor’s orders, I’ve gone on a mostly carb-free diet. This place makes pancakes with bacon-infused batter. I was kinda good in that I got some veggie breakfast burrito and didn’t eat all of the tortilla, but yeah, I’m probably gonna die in this place at some point over the next ten days.

On to Hohokam Park to check out the Dodgers and Cubs.

Today was sort of a lost day as far as real baseball reporter-like activity goes, as I wasn’t able to get to the park at my usual 8 AM arrival time. This kept me from (a) getting into the clubhouse when the players were just hanging out; and (b) kept me from getting a good seat in the press box. This would be my view of the game if I sat up here for it:

source:

No, I will not be sitting inside for it. Think I’m going to go camp out in the sun someplace and enjoy the game like God and Nature intended. By the way: that guy in front of me is Eric Stephen of True Blue LA.  We bloggers are taking over, yo.

Out into this beautiful park:

source:

The Cubs are abandoning it for new digs next year. The Athletics will be taking it over. The Brewers, rumor has it, will then move into the A’s place at Phoenix Municipal. The wheel goes round and round and each time it stops another old school spring training park goes down. At least if you consider Maryvale old school. I dunno. I’ll say more about it when I’m there next week, but I like Maryvale and I don’t care if it’s in a neighborhood a lot of folks don’t like to go to.

In other news, I’d like to hire these guys to do my yard work:

source:

I used to make fun of my dad for being so obsessive about his lawn that he’d go pick specks out of it. These guys have freakin’ Dustbusters. They’re green, too. Cool.

Hey, Edwin Jackson! Can I have an autograph?

source:

As soon as this picture was taken Jackson was traded three more times for reasons that are unclear.

Back inside where one learns that, even in spring training, major league prices reign supreme:

source:

Those are total ripoffs. Everyone knows that foam fingers are cooler than foam claws. The pricing should be reversed.

Oh, and there is a ballgame today. Starts in a few short minutes. The lineups:

source:

Nick Punto: designated hitter. Yup, it’s spring training.

Talk at you later, y’all. There’s baseball to watch.

Latest Posts
  1. Rays will be without injured John Jaso until at least June

Apr 27, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT

Orioles Rays Spring Baseball AP

Jaso injured his wrist sliding into third base on Opening Day.

2. On the move again: Dodgers trade Xavier Cedeno to Rays

Apr 27, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

Xavier Cedeno Nationals AP

He was traded from the Nationals to the Dodgers just last week.

3. Orioles COO John Angelos puts baseball, civil rights and protests in perspective

Apr 27, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT

John Angelos

Powerful words from the Orioles’ executive in the wake of the death of Freddie Gray.

4. Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd

Apr 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT

Edgar Martinez

Some people are really committed. Others are so committed, maybe they should be committed.

5. Chris Perez opts out of minor league deal with Brewers

Apr 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

chris perez getty Getty Images

Perez posted a 9.39 ERA in six appearances for Triple-A Colorado Springs.

6. The Rays have yet to play a game in an outdoor stadium

Apr 27, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT

Rays logo

“Outdoor baseball is stupid, and domes should be universal. My column:”

7. A month later, there’s still no timetable for Justin Verlander’s return to the Tigers

Apr 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers' Verlander reacts after leaving the game against Texas Rangers in their MLB American League baseball game in Arlington Reuters

He hasn’t thrown since cutting short a bullpen session 10 days ago.

8. Jeff Loria says there have been no serious discussions about firing Mike Redmond

Apr 27, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT

mike redmond getty Getty Images

The Marlins lose: rumors of the manager being on the hot seat. They win: he’s safe. That’s the sort of reaction that stable teams run by wise men pursue, right?

9. Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal

Apr 27, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT

adam wainwirght getty Getty Images

And no, I don’t say that just because Adam Wainwright has been lost for the season due to an injury sustained while hitting.

10. And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Apr 27, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT

John Farrell Dustin Pedroia AP

“Can you pitch, Dustin? Like, every fifth day? I’m serious.”

11. Jose Abreu joined select company with his 162nd career game

Apr 26, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT

Jose Abreu Jose Abreu

Jose Abreu, one might say, is good at hitting baseballs.

12. Max Scherzer thinks the National League should adopt the DH

Apr 26, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT

Max Scherzer Max Scherzer

Max Scherzer made an argument for bringing the DH to the National League.

13. The market for Cole Hamels is getting bigger

Apr 26, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT

Cole Hamels Cole Hamels

Perhaps Phillies GM Ruben Amaro was right to hold onto Cole Hamels.

14. Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays

Apr 26, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez hit his 659th career home run on Sunday night against the Mets, leaving him one shy of tying Willie Mays.

15. Video: Alex Gordon dives into the stands to make the catch

Apr 26, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

Alex Gordon Getty Images

Alex Gordon made an exceptional catch to help Edinson Volquez in Sunday’s game against the White Sox.

16. Orioles score 18 runs against the Red Sox, setting a new club record

Apr 26, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT

Manny Machado, Rey Navarro Manny Machado, Rey Navarro

The Orioles set a club record for runs scored and the Red Sox starting rotation continues to falter.

17. A’s sign Ryan Roberts to minor league contract

Apr 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EDT

ryan roberts getty Getty Images

As first reported by Jeff Hem, the play-by-play announcer for the Triple-A Nashville Sounds, the Athletics have signed veteran infielder Ryan Roberts to a minor league contract.

18. A’s option fifth starter Kendall Graveman to AAA

Apr 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

kendall graveman getty Getty Images

Graveman allowed six earned runs in 4 2/3 innings Saturday in a loss to the Astros, falling to 1-2 on the season with an 8.27 ERA and 2.02 WHIP in 16 1/3 total frames (four starts).

1. Y. Puig (3037)