Feb 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Javier Vazquez‘s comeback, which was going to include pitching for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, is over before it started.
Last month Vazquez underwent what was said to be a minor knee surgery to repair meniscus damage, but Ruben Rodriguez of El Nuevo Dia in Puerto Rico reports that he will not pitch in the WBC. And according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that means Vazquez “will not pitch in MLB this year.”
Vazquez would have had to pitch well (and prove he was healthy) in the WBC to draw significant interest from MLB teams anyway, so the knee problems sabotaged all of that for the 36-year-old.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)