Feb 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Javier Vazquez‘s comeback, which was going to include pitching for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, is over before it started.
Last month Vazquez underwent what was said to be a minor knee surgery to repair meniscus damage, but Ruben Rodriguez of El Nuevo Dia in Puerto Rico reports that he will not pitch in the WBC. And according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that means Vazquez “will not pitch in MLB this year.”
Vazquez would have had to pitch well (and prove he was healthy) in the WBC to draw significant interest from MLB teams anyway, so the knee problems sabotaged all of that for the 36-year-old.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 23
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)